Traditions Regimenter

German unit histories, lineages, OoBs, ToEs, commanders, fieldpost numbers, organization, etc.

Moderator: Tom Houlihan

Skarn
Enthusiast

Traditions Regimenter

Post by Skarn »

Hello again,

With the help of some indications from other Feldgrauians, I found the list of the Traditions Regimenter of the "Alten Armee", those regiments which bore the name of Füsilier after the "Grenadier order" of October 25th 1942.

These regiments were the following ones :
- Füsilier Regiment 22 (1. Infanterie Division) <-- from Füsilier Regiment "Graf Roon" (1. Ostpreußisches) Nr. 33 of the prussian and imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 26 (30. Infanterie Division) <-- from Füsilier Regiment "Königin" (1. Schleswig-Holsteinisches) Nr. 86 of the imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 27 (12. Infanterie Division) <-- from 1. Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Füsilier Regiment "Kaiser Wilhelm" Nr. 90 of the imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 34 (35. Infanterie Division) <-- from Füsilier Regiment "Kaiser Franz Josef von Österreich, König von Ungarn" (4. Württemburgisches) Nr. 122 of the imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 39 (26. Infanterie Division) <-- from Niederrheinisches Füsilier Regiment Nr. 39 of the Prussian and imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 68 (23. Infanterie Division) <-- from Füsilier Regiment "Prinz Heinrich von Preußen" (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 35 of the imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 202 (75. Infanterie Division) <-- from 1. Großherzoglich Mecklenburgisches Füsilier Regiment "Kaiser Wilhelm" Nr. 90 of the imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 230 (76. Infanterie Division) <-- from Füsilier Regiment "Prinz Heinrich von Preußen" (1. Brandenburgisches) Nr. 35 of the imperial army.
- Füsilier Regiment 334 (181. Infanterie Division) <-- from Füsilier Regiment "Feldmarschall Prinz Albrecht von Preußen" (1. Hannoversches) Nr. 73 of the imperial army.

NB : some regiments bore traditions of the same regiment.
NB 2 : I found a name for the Niederrheinisches Füsilier Regiment Nr. 39 : "General Ludendorff". But it sounds as a late name, circa 1916-1917, and not its usual name in the Alten Armee.

Could someone tell me why these regiments in particular appeared worthy of the name of Füsilier, and not others ? I think, but I may be wrong, that a lot more units in the 1942 Heer were linked with Prussian or imperial units.

Additional question, maybe off-topic regarding to the chronological limits of this forum : why twelve regiments bore the title of Füsilier in the German imperial army (33 to 40, 73, 80, 86 and 90) ?

Anybody ?

Thanks for your help,
Best regards,

Loïc
"On ne relève pas Picardie !" (Picardie Regiment is not relieved !)
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Loïc

I can't address your question as I'd like to since most of my books are in boxes right now. But I can say that the German Army as always been as confusing as the WHermact was!

In 1806 there was a complete reorg of the Prussian Army; many regts were disbanded that were thought to have disgraced themselves in the war against Napoleon - others were combined giving us units like Blucher's Death's Head Hussars (1st and 2nd Hussars IIRC)

There were originally twelve Prussian regiments plus reserve regts and landwher - then of course Saxony was added in 1814 with her army and ultimately all the Germanys combined some very fine armies with long traditions which if traced back far enough should answer your questions.

Note - "Fusileer" was originally the third (psuedo elite - kind of like jager or light inf) battalion of the Prussian Infantry Regts. Can also mean (depending upon the principality) just plain ole infantry, elite infantry or a second (and confusing) kind of jager.

Hope that helps a little
cheers
reb
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

The designation "Alten Armee" as used by the Reichswehr and Wehrmacht, refers to the German Army that existed up to 06.03.1919, and not just the old 18th Century Prussian Army.

On 01.11.1917 General Ludendorff was appointed Chef (the English would say Colonel) of Fusilier-Regiment 39, which henceforth carried his name. (He had been its commanding officer before the 'Great War'). Besides being a famous WWI general, Ludendorff was one of the first Nazi Party members, and this party used his name. Hence the designation of this regiment.

Füsilier-Regiment 202 was raised by the Fusilier-Regiment 27 upon mobilization in 1939, and therefor carried the same tradition.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Skarn
Enthusiast

Post by Skarn »

Great. Thank you Leo and Reb for your clarification, it was what I was looking for.

Bets regards,

Loïc
"On ne relève pas Picardie !" (Picardie Regiment is not relieved !)