Selection of Waffenfarbe

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
Freiritter
Associate

Selection of Waffenfarbe

Post by Freiritter »

Hello,

I remember reading in Rudi's biography here that upon enlistment in the Wehrmacht, a recruit could choose what branch, like PanzerWaffe, UbootWaffe in a particular service. But, could a recruit choose what position in the Waffen he went to, say like a tank gunner or a radio man?

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

What do you mean branch or "profession"?? Every branch (Infanterie, Pz.Gren., Panzertruppe etc.. ) had radio operators etc..
Basically everyone had the choice to give his wish but it was totally up to the replacement situation if this wish was accepted. Of course first the people with the better qualification were sent to the various duties and if there was still a need it was filled up with the rest. When someone for example learned electrician before the war and gives his wish to become an machinegunner he would most likely be put into a workshop company etc...

\Christoph
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Hello,

I was pretty tired when I posted this one. I remembered reading Rudi's bio and a passage caught my attention:
My biggest surprise came when, just before basic training was over, we were consulted regarding the selection of an occupation in the Army. Unlike the German Army, we could choose the type of job we wanted.
Cordially,

Freiritter
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

As I said basically you were able to make a wish but if it was fullfilled was connected to the situation. Or do you think when 99 of 100 recruits want to become radio operator they put all into this career?

\christoph
Freiritter
Associate

Post by Freiritter »

Hello,

No, just I was wondering what, if any, difference there was between how the Wehrmacht and the U.S. Army filled out the specialties.

Cordially,

Freiritter