For what did Hitler earn his Iron Cross?

Individual German officers, soldiers and award holders.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Freiritter
Associate

For what did Hitler earn his Iron Cross?

Post by Freiritter »

Hello,

I remember reading that Hitler was a runner in a Bavarian rifle company. For what action did Hitler receive his Iron Cross?

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Bittrich
Contributor

Hitlers Iron Cross

Post by Bittrich »

Freiritter,
I don't have the specifics, but during WWI he was a runner and was wounded a couple of times while delivering messages. I have also read accounts that he was in one spot moved and moments later an artillery shell exploded in that spot, but as far as I can remember he was awarded the Iron Cross for running messages. I wish I could be more specific as far as time and place. Sorry.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Mishar
Supporter

Post by Mishar »

He receivied the Iron Cross, Second Class, in December 1915 and the Iron Cross, First Class in August 1918.
Bittrich
Contributor

Hitlers Iron Cross

Post by Bittrich »

Mishar,
Thanks for providing the specific information.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Gentlemen!

Adolf Hitler recieved the Iron Cross, First Class on August 4, 1918 and most biographies on Hitler (for example Bullock, Toland) gives the reason for his decoration as a sum-up award for continous courageous service between 1914 and the summer of 1918.
In the book "Hitler - The Path to Power" by Charles Bracelen Flood (1989), there is a qoute from the EK-I recommendation for Gefreiter Hitler, signed by his regimental commander:
As a runner his coolness and dash in both trench and open warfare have been exemplary, and invariably he has shown himself ready to volunteer for tasks in the most difficult situations and at danger to himself. Whenever communications have been disrupted at a critical moment in battle, it has been thanks to Hitler's unflagging and devouted efforts that important messages continued to get through despite every difficulty.
Actually, Flood has qouted this from Werner Maser's book on Hitler from 1973. When it comes to Hitler's Iron Cross, Second Class, he recieved it on December 2, 1914 and not in 1915 as mentioned in an earlier reply.

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
max painless
Under Review

Post by max painless »

what was his other award for then? I know it was a rare decoration (1st. class) for a lance corporal/corporal, which was all Hitler could be promoted to, due to his Austrian citizenship. Hitler did not became a German citizen until after the war. The story about him moving and shell hitting, is Hitler's own recollection from mein kampf I believe. It was part of fatalistic invincibilty complex.
~All you touch, and all you see, is all your life will ever be~