Religion and the SS

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Freiritter
Associate

Religion and the SS

Post by Freiritter »

Hello,

I remember reading a book from the Time-Life series The Third Reich, called The SS and it described that Himmler, among others, endorsed some style of pagan religion along old Germanic tradition and even forced SS members to renounce Christianity and take up this religion. Was this true?

Cordially,

Freiritter
Amateurs study tactics, professionals study logistics.
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

FRieritter

I've read about that - but hopefully that didn't permeate too far down the chain. I just finished Kurt Meyer's book and he quoted a speech he gave to his boys (HJ) about the necessity for a soldier to believe in God (ie the Christian God - not Thor!)

I was a bit surprised but certainly pleased to read that.

"Papa" Eicke too rather the opposite approach - preaching against Christianity to his original Totenkopf people - the results are obvious.

Himmler lived in a fantasy land all his own - Hitler was more down to earth and tolerated that nonsense and much else for reasons which to me are not clear. AH himself occassionally spoke of himself in a sort of Catholic context that fails to make sense in light of his actions.

The pagan stuff, mixed with the attachment of peasants to the land and strong women producing racially perfect children gets fairly off beat when you look into it. If nothing else - it distracted ReichsHeini from his other "duties" which was certainly a good thing....

cheers
Reb
Brian67
Banned

Re: Religion and the SS

Post by Brian67 »

Freiritter wrote:Hello,

I remember reading a book from the Time-Life series The Third Reich, called The SS and it described that Himmler, among others, endorsed some style of pagan religion along old Germanic tradition and even forced SS members to renounce Christianity and take up this religion. Was this true?

Cordially,

Freiritter
I read in Brunneggers book "Saat in den Sturm", that he (and the other Totenkopf-Members) was asked to renounce the church/Christianity and instead of christmas they had the "Jul-Fest".
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
TYR

Post by TYR »

Yes,Reicheini,was a kook.
Believer in pagan rituals,reincarnation,and a vehemnt hatred of organized mainstream religion.Himmler had no military sense at all,as was found in the latter part of the war when he was put in command and promptly went to hospital because he could not take the stress of an actual military leader.
According to CharlesW.Sydnor"s great book,SOLDIERS of DESTRUCTION,
Eicke had a program of organized renunciation of all Christianity.
Of course there were some SS men that had no part of that nonsense,and as the war progressed less and less time was spent in the teaching of paganism and rune lore until it disappeared to be replaced by combat training.And,as the war was being lost,even combat training was rushed,as the demands of the fronts were growing ever more urgent.No time could be spent on nonsense such as paganism when the war was being lost.
STRENGTH & HONOR
Bittrich
Contributor

Waffen-SS

Post by Bittrich »

Yes Himmler was in fantasy land, but Willi Bittrich was another SS officer who allowed his men to have Chrisitan Services much to Himmlers dismay. I don't know for sure but I would imagine Hausser and Steiner didn't renounce Christianity either.
To those who fought reguardless of nationality
Roger Griffiths
Associate

Post by Roger Griffiths »

It was standard practice in the waffen SS to get everybody to renounce Christianity. However, Himmler was a religious person with a small 'r'. Adolf remarked on it. Something like, 'We thought that we had done away with religion, and here's Himmler starting it all up again'. Even from the early days, Pagan religion and rituals were taught. When the Waffen SS took over foreign formations, various religions had to be tolerated and allowed to be practised.

Roger
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

An Uncle of mine was in the SS (all 5'1" of him) and he didn't renounce anything, and apparantly wasn't asked to. They were just interested in using him as gun fodder. It was 1945 after all.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
TYR

Post by TYR »

[quote="Hans"]An Uncle of mine was in the SS (all 5'1" of him) and he didn't renounce anything, and apparantly wasn't asked to. They were just interested in using him as gun fodder. It was 1945 after all.
[Hans=quote]
Absolutely.Who had time for drivel such as runes lore and religion,when any and every man,short or old,Christian or agnostic,was needed at the front?No time to be asking about your heredity from the 19th century when the red hordes were invading the Reich. :shock:
STRENGTH & HONOR
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

The Waffen-SS Division of Foreign Volunteers "Légion Wallonie" of Léon Degrelle were Catholic and were aloud to practiced their Religion.

Regards
Michael N. Ryan
Enthusiast

Post by Michael N. Ryan »

Himmler appears to have been quite tolerant of Islam. He appointed Moslem clergy to his Bosnian division.

Himmler is known to have called Christianity a Jewish hoax.

But when it comes to his anti-chuch policies, he seems to have been quite successful with his Concentration Camp personel (perhaps because of Eicke). In ANOTOMY OF THE AUCHWITZ DEATH CAMP by Yisrael Gutman and Michael Berenbaum it is noted that no religious facilities were established in the camp or any of its subcamps. It shouldn't be suprising considering what abominations were done there.
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Mgr. Mayol de Lupe, a catholic priest, (1873-1975, Iron cross 1942), general chaplain of the LVF became general chaplain of the French Waffen SS upon its creation.
Most of the former Milice members who joined the Waffen SS were catholic. SS and attending the Mass, nobody tried to prevent them to do such.
The preach of Mayol de Lupe were usually starting with "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Fuehrer Adolf Hitler" :shock:
Regards
Daniel Laurent
TYR

Post by TYR »

Laurent Daniel wrote:Mgr. Mayol de Lupe, a catholic priest, (1873-1975, Iron cross 1942), general chaplain of the LVF became general chaplain of the French Waffen SS upon its creation.
Most of the former Milice members who joined the Waffen SS were catholic. SS and attending the Mass, nobody tried to prevent them to do such.
The preach of Mayol de Lupe were usually starting with "In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ and our Fuehrer Adolf Hitler" :shock:
That is scary.
Not to be outdone,here in the USA, Rev. Pat Roberts,a conservative minister who televises nationwide daily,called for the assasination of the president of Venezuela for being a communist and terrorist sympathiser.
STRENGTH & HONOR
knieptang
Enthusiast

Post by knieptang »

I remember an interview with a veteran of the LSSAH in the german TV a few years ago.

He spoke about the swearing-in ceremony at midnight as a kind of a "Religious Ceremony", and he did not wanted to share his emotions about this ceremony to the public...

I have heard such a statement several times, especially from LSSAH veterans.

My english is not good enough, to explain this better, sorry.

Michael
TYR

Post by TYR »

I remember reading about the oath to Hitler.
A night time march with torches,entering a parade field.Speeches about the duty of the SS and finally the swearing in.
I could see how it would be a moving and almost mystical experience.The comaraderie,a solemn oath.It must have been quite moving.
STRENGTH & HONOR
haen1
Supporter

religion

Post by haen1 »

The notion that the Waffen SS was AGAINST religion is total quatsch.
They were "A "-religious, meaning they espoused nothing of their own, other than some pseudo rituals, meant to increase the 'brotherhood" idea.
For example, in our unit, men were given a pass to go to mass if they so desired.
Most of us were listed on our stammkarten as "Gottglaubig" (believing in God).
The French Waffen SS units even had a chaplain in their organisation.
For what it's worth.
HN