Max Wunsche and Heinz Harmel

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
RogerF

Max Wunsche and Heinz Harmel

Post by RogerF »

Both of these SS commanders have interested me. Did any of them write any memoirs or articles on their experiences in english?
Roger
Craig Soward
Supporter

Brave

Post by Craig Soward »

They were both brave soldiers, it would be good to hear things from their perspective; I find some of the most interesting books in the genre are the ones written by people who were participants in the war, so have real life experiences of what it was like to fight for one of the most successful & notorious armies history has ever seen.
They shall not grow old, as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun & in the morning...WE WILL REMEMBER THEM. LEST WE FORGET!
Reb
Patron

Post by Reb »

Roger

See Hubert Meyer's history of 12th SS and Kurt Meyer's "Grenadiers." Max Wunsche is all over the place - starting as a platoon leader in Kurt Meyer's recon company. Also try a google search - there is a site somewhere with much biographical data (which I thought I'd bookmarked but apparently not).

Harmel? See Michael Reynold's "Sons of the Reich" for the most I've ever seen about him. Would probably feature in any serious history of SS DR as well.

cheers
Reb
tiger007

max wunsche

Post by tiger007 »

another good book,is Michael whitman and the tiger commanders of the liebstandarte.This goes into great detail about the panzer commanders of the lah.
good reading