Any clues from this photo?

A place to post photographs and to ask about photographic research.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Tetsell

Any clues from this photo?

Post by Tetsell »

Hello,

I'm trying to find out information about my grandfather, I know he served in the Waffen SS, but very little else. This is one of the few photographs my family has of him. Any thoughts much appreciated...

Thanks,

Dan
Holmer
Supporter

Post by Holmer »

Hello,

If you have a fieldpost number, there are many here who read/understand them and with that should be able to tell you what unit your grandfather was from. Also, it might be useful if you provide his full name and date of birth.

Looking at the picture, I will guess he was a Oberscharfurher (Sergent Major), but I am no expert. He also appears to be wearing a M36 style of tunic with an iron cross ribbon award. I am sure someone here can give you a better answer though.

Regards and good luck,

B. Holmes
We are born to die.
Herr Doktor
Contributor

Post by Herr Doktor »

Hello!

It also looks like there is an Eastern Front service ribbon, just visible next to the Iron Cross 2nd Class ribbon extending from the same tunic button hole (it's a little hard to tell from the scan, however such a ribbon would have been worn at the same place with an Iron Cross ribbon - if thats what this is).

So perhaps he was an Eastern Front veteran. If I remember right, the Eastern Front medal was only issued for units on that front during a certain time period only (1941-42?), if you confirmed what that time period was during which the medal was issued, then checked to see what Waffen-SS units were on the Eastern Front during that time, it just may narrow it down a little bit. :D

I can't quite make out the insignia on the shoulder straps (looks like a gothic letter but I can't tell which one), however if you could tell what it is, perhaps with a magnifying glass (?), that could also help.

Do you have any other photos of him in uniform? Perhaps a photo that you could see a cuffband in (with the unit name on it) - that would help, too.

Why did he join the Waffen-SS? Any ideas?

Best of luck,

HD
Tetsell

Post by Tetsell »

Thanks for these. I'll see if I can find another photo. My grandfather's full name was Kurt Martens, dob 4th Sept 1918. As far as 'family legend' goes, I think he went to see the Olympics in Berlin in '36 with his father and was so impressed by Hitler's bodyguards that he joined the Leibstandarte AH as soon as he was able. Of course, the 'why' question is much bigger than just that...

What would he have to have done to earn the Iron Cross?

All this is a great help, many thanks,

Dan
Herr Doktor
Contributor

Post by Herr Doktor »

Hi,

This website has details on awards, such as the Iron Cross and how it was earned, take a look:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/iron_cr ... ross_2.htm

Enjoy!

HD
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

The lettering on the shoulder straps looks like the early, flamboyant version of LAH - the Leibstandarte. I also believe they were the only ones to have piping on the collar.
Simon Orchard
Supporter

Post by Simon Orchard »

The cypher does very much look like the LAH cypher. See if you can larger scan of his shoulder straps.

His rank here is Oberscharführer as mentioned and from the waffenfarbe would seem to be infantry or perhaps divisional HQ staff.

I'm not too sure that's an EKII it's so dark it could be a KVKII. At any rate the eastern front medal places the photo from mid\late '42 onwards.

From this shot it doesn't look as if he's wearing any other decoration on his left breast pocket?

If you have any other photos at all of him it would help.
Hell
Supporter

Post by Hell »

hi tetsell.

try out the "Wehrmachtsauskunftsstelle" WAST.
for the notification of next-of-kin of members of the former German Wehrmacht who were killed in action.
works also for those, who survived the war, of course.

i got the informations about my grandpa yesterday and they are really good. not fully complete but useful.

notice:
-it can take up to six month
-you have to pay a minimum fee of 8 euros for every page commenced.

http://www.dd-wast.de

the site is available in english.

good luck
Hell
awaygood
Supporter

Post by awaygood »

The 'piping' on the collar is flat woven metallic tape, and was worn by all NCOs in the army, air force, and Waffen-SS. It was not unique to the LAH. However, many uniform books state that this tape was only worn on the Waffen-SS's black panzer uniforms by NCOs in the LAH.