German generals shot by US or British Army for war crimes?

Objective research on factual information regarding German military related warcrimes.
panzermahn
Associate

German generals shot by US or British Army for war crimes?

Post by panzermahn »

Hello Feldgrauans

Take aside Jodl and Keitel, I recalled seeing a batch of photos posted in the web of a German general executed by US Army firing squad. I recalled it was mentioned that a US Army military tribunal found this German general to have been guilty of war crimes (shooting POWs).

Anyone knew any list of German generals executed by the US or British army?

Many thanks
Simon H
Associate

Re: German generals shot by US or British Army for war crimes?

Post by Simon H »

I think the General you may refer to was Anton Dostler, who was indeed tried and shot for the murder of US Army POW's in Italy.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Wouldn't Steen's site have that information?

Now if I was just lucid enough to go find it...

Wait, here it is!!!

http://www.generals.dk/
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Franz Repper
Supporter

Post by Franz Repper »

Here is a link to the charge of Anton Dostler http://www.ess.uwe.ac.uk/WCC/dostler.htm
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hello everyone

Thanks for the replies. Yes, General Dostler was the person I saw in the execution pictures. I was wondering why General Dostler was executed by firing squad for war crimes whereas General Jodl and Field Marshal Keitel was hanged.

Do anyone knew any execution of senior German officers (colonels and above) by the Western Allies for war crimes? Perry Biddiscombe's book The Last Nazi mentioned that a German Army colonel, Hamann was executed by the British for sabotage at Hamburg in 1947

Thanks
Panzermahn
michael kenny
Associate

Post by michael kenny »

Quiet Flows the Rhine, German General Officer Casualties in World War II by French L. MacLean

The first is the fate of all the Generals:

This is the fate of the 168 who died 'in contact with the enemy"

For those (of the 168) where the EXACT mode of death is known
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Michael

Thanks for posting the info from Maclean's. I assumed that the number of 33 German generals executed by Allies after WW2, the majority of them were by the Russians. Paul Aldair's book Hitler's Greatest Defeat: Collapse of Army Group Centre mentioned that several German generals from Army Group Centre who were captured during Operation Bagration were executed after the war by the Russians for war crimes.

Does the info from Maclean on the executed German generals by the Allies include Eastern/Cossack/Caucasian/foreign generals serving in Wehrmacht such as Generals Vlassov, S. Bunyachenko, Generalmajor Vardan Sarkissian, Sultan Kirach Gley etc?

Apart from Anton Dostler, Alfred Jodl, Wilhelm Keitel, do you know any German generals executed by the Western Allies for war crimes?

I know few names, General Bruno Bauer and Friedrich-Wilhelm Muller who were executed by the Greeks and General Alexander Loehr who were executed by the Titoists

Panzermahn