Feldgrau Author - Dale R. Ritter

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Feldgrau Author - Dale R. Ritter

Post by John P. Moore »

Schiffer has published the first two books of the The Tiger Project series by long-time Feldgrau member Dale Ritter. The titles known to me are The Tiger Project: A Series Devoted to Germanys World War II Tiger Tank Crews: Book One - Alfred Rubbel - Schwere Panzer (Tiger) Abteilung 503 followed by The Tiger Project: Horst Kronke, Schwere Panzer (tiger) Abteilung 505 . Descriptions of both books along with some reader reviews can be found here on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/TIGER-PROJECT-Dev ... 011&sr=1-8

Now I will leave it to Dale to tell us a bit more about his books and the research that went into them.

John
Dale
Supporter

Re: Feldgrau Author - Dale R. Ritter

Post by Dale »

Thanks John !
Well - many of you probably have already read threads on the topic of my books over the last years...I finally decided to ask John to put me on the list and I truly appreciate that it is done.
First - I have to say that these 2 books are basically the memoirs of 2 very interesting panzer veterans. The books are not the scholarly works of some on here - not the in-depth research projects - but they do offer an interesting look into the lives of these 2 men.
I know many believe that the Tiger tanks receive way too much attention and focus - way out of proportion to the number that were employed - but that is also why so many are interested in the Tigers. There were relatively few of them and their impact was out of proportion to the numbers employed.
The books are not to promote the Tiger tanks but they are simply the stories of the two officers who served a portion of their military careers in the Tiger.
The stories include many previously unpublished - and some personal photos.
I'd appreciate any input - as I am working on another memoir from a former loader in schwere Panzer Abteilung 503.
Thanks !
Dale R. Ritter
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Hi Dale,

Your still working on the Polzin-Project?

Sorrowly I had heard that Horst Kröhnke fell badly and is not much fit anymore...

All the best

Jan-Hendrik
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

Hello Jan-Hendrik !
Yes - the Polzin manuscript is currently with a publisher - I am waiting to hear back from them.
Unfortunately Horst passed away not too long ago. So both he and Dr. Polzin died within the past year or so.
I have been in contact with another interesting Tiger veteran - a former Oberleutnant with 505 - he is 90 years old and seemingly in excellent health, especially his mind !

take care,
Dale
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

Sad news....and good news....

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the Polzin-Book!

Jan-Hendrik
nord

Post by nord »

Hi Dale
will be looking forward to your new book :D
when it comes out
all the best
nord
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

Thank you Nord !
As soon as I know anything I will post it... I'm waiting on hearing back from one potential publisher...and considering the possibility of an e-book. I'd prefer having a book printed that I can hold in my hands but the e-book option is very interesting. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any opinions...?
Dale
Dale
Supporter

Dr. Günther Polzin / s.Pz.Abt.503 -- website

Post by Dale »

Hello all - I just wanted to post a little update -- I have the text complete sans a few corrections I'm sure - for a third "Tiger Project" book. The story of Dr. Günther Polzin will hopefully be accepted...

For now - I have a little website together about the "Tiger Project" - please have a look.

http://home.ptd.net/~thetigerproject/home.html
Dale
Supporter

Tiger Project - Book 3 - Dr. Polzin

Post by Dale »

The 3rd book will be in print in Spring 2014 -- This book covers Dr. Polzin - a loader in the 2nd Company of s.Pz.Abt. 503. There is plenty of information about Dr. Polzin's experiences from training through the war in Russia, France and Hungary to Russian prison camp.
Included is the perspective of Martin Burmester - another member of the 2nd Company/503. There was not much information printed previously about the 2nd Company -- it was considered to be the "gray mouse" of the abteilung and was certainly not given much credit in the initial runs of the 503 history.
So, while the 503 is generally well-covered - the 2nd Company has not been.
I will post more when it is available -- If anyone is curious or has any specific questions...please ask.
Best,
Dale R. Ritter
Jukka Juutinen
Supporter

Post by Jukka Juutinen »

Thanks for the update! Any estimate on the page count compared to previous volumes?
Dale
Supporter

Post by Dale »

Hello --
This one is about 62,000 words -- more text than the previous (Kronke) volume - less photos. I will post more when I have the proofs - then I will have a page count for you.
Thanks for asking --
Dale
Dale
Supporter

Tiger Project 3 - Dr. Polzin

Post by Dale »

The third book of the series "The Tiger Project" is now available:

http://www.schifferbooks.com/search/res ... ct&x=0&y=0

This book, "The Tiger Project 3" is focused on Dr. Guenter Polzin with additional contributions from Martin Burmester. Both Polzin and Burmester served their entire military careers with schwere Panzer Abteilung 503 from the initial deployment of that unit through to the end of the war. The 2./503 received much less attention than the 1st and 3rd companies in the unit history and other Tiger books.
This book has less total pages than the previous two but it has more total text (fewer photos in total). Most of the information in the book comes from Polzin's diaries, post-war articles, and the letters and interviews I conducted.
If you have any questions, please ask !
Thanks - Dale
Dale
Supporter

My 4th book: Charging Knights on the Eastern Front: The Combat History of Schwere Panzer Abteilung 505

Post by Dale »

Charging Knights on the Eastern Front: The Combat History of Schwere Panzer Abteilung 505

Description:

After many years of research, the author has presented us with an excellent unit history that has all the necessary elements of a great book: Detailed text, great personal accounts, excellent photographs (many previously unpublished or rare, and quite a few full-page), colour maps, colour profiles, organigrams, a personnel roster, and biographies.

This unit fought exclusively on the Eastern Front, beginning with Operation Zitadelle in July 1943. It then fought at Rosslawl, and then in the Smolensk-Witebsk-Orscha area from September 1943 until April 1944. It was transferred south into the Kowel area for 2 months. At the end of June it returned north to the Borisow area, from where it fought a withdrawal battle through Minsk and Grodno. At the end of July 1944 it was transported to Ohrdruf for refitting and to train on the Königstiger. At the beginning of September the Abteilung was shipped to Nasielsk, Poland, where it fought until November 1944. It was then sent to Wirballen. It fought in East Prussia until the end of the war, retreating to Pilau in late April 1945. Some members managed to escape, many wound up in captivity, and others lost their lives during the final days.

This 9″ x 12″ hard cover book has 400 pages, 528 photos, 21 detailed full-colour maps, 8 pages of colour profiles, 9 detailed organigrams, a partial roster of 814 members, and 51 biographies.

If anybody is interested in more information please message me.

Thank you -
Dale R. Ritter

Link:

https://www.jjfpub.mb.ca/product/chargi ... ilung-505/