Feldgrau Author: Tom Houlihan

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Feldgrau Author: Tom Houlihan

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I almost hate to ask, but I have to.

As my opinion of this book is somewhat biased, would anyone like to write some manner of review? I seem to have been accused of charging too much on another site, and while I realized a couple of days ago I need a couple of objective reviews, today I really need to know if people who own it consider it worth the cost?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
charlieboy
Supporter

Post by charlieboy »

hi tom
in my opinion some books are expensive,
but you get what you pay for, your book is not like writing a novel?
in your case there must have been so much research, cross checking,
spellings,etc. its all time consuming, i can see where people come from,
when they say it can take two odd years,
before a book comes to print and plus all the overheads $$$$
i paid what i think is a reasonable price for a item that will never grow old,
and can not be upgraded to a better source of information on a subject of this kind, as mentioned on this forum, by expert german ww2 researchers/u]i paid just under £25-00 sterling for your book and nearly £5-00 of that was postage :evil: :evil: :evil: my only gripe but out of your control
was i ripped off NO a good quality sunday newspaper here in england cost £1-50, you read it once then you bin it??.
this book will not be thrown away it will last people a lifetime, also there's nothing to take it's place at the present time.
well that is my personell opinion on your book for what it is worth, MONEY WELL WORTH SPENDING
best wishes
micky
richard hedrick
Supporter

Post by richard hedrick »

Hey Tom,

A few months ago I set out to write a review of your book for my site but it never materialized, mostly out of laziness I am sure. Your post made me reexamine my lack of progress and though I am quite challenged when it comes to writing reviews I got it done just the same.

For what its worth I think the book is very reasonably priced at $27, I believe that a research tool of this type is invaluable.

http://www.sturmpanzer.com/Default.aspx ... m=37&sec=0

Take care,
Richard
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

a good quality sunday newspaper here in england cost £1-50, you read it once then you bin it??.
....but if you hang it on a string in the lavvy it can last you ALL week long! :D :D :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Vielen Dank, Richard!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Someone in another thread has recently identified a spelling error in the title of Tom's publication. Kriegsprache is short one "s". That's probably not a very good thing for a publication that is intended to be a serious dictionary. However, it does highlight one of the benefits of print-on-demand schemes where errors can be corrected.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, thanks to real-life, and being an anal-retentive pedant, it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I've finished changing the graphics and the title. I figured that since I was making changes, I'd make some stylistic changes I wanted. Most of you wouldn't notice extra or missing spaces, but I did. There were also a few keystrokes that shouldn't have been there. So, I tried to catch all of them.

Then, even though I promised myself I wouldn't do it, I put in some new material I had collected. Now, I know several of you have already picked up copies. Before you get upset, I will e-mail a copy of the Addendum (as of today) that I just added, if you send me a message. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best I can do right now.

For those of you who want a copy, but haven't ordered it yet, give me a few more hours. After I get the kids down tonight, I'll upload the new version. Then I'm not going to update it until I get a few of these other projects knocked out.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Okay, that didn't work so well. I revised the book. Then I reviewed the revision, and revised that. Normal people wouldn't have noted 90% of the things I changed, but it bugged me, so I fixed it.

Then I went to upload the revision. Well, I found out it ain't that easy. According to ISBN rules, I apparently can't change the title (which is the biggest impetus for the damned revision!), and I can't add content, which was the second major reason for the revision! :evil: So, in order to make the revision available, I have to go through the entire process, getting a new ISBN, and in essence publishing an entirely different book! So, the revised version ain't gonna be ready for a while. My apologies.

Don't worry, when I get the Forum Hero Tales completed, I'm not so much worried about an ISBN for them, so those two volumes will be easy to modify. Of course, I don't anticipate a need for modifying them, so the point is probably moot anyway.

What a pain...
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Tom

I think you missed this term in your Kriegssprache :)

Fallschirmgebirgsluftlandefunkengesteurtepanzerjaegerzerstorersturmmaultier (LOL!)

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic. ... 2&t=165085

:D

Panzermahn