Enrico Cernuschi

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Enrico Cernuschi

Post by Enrico Cernuschi »

Hello Gentlemen,

following Jason's proposal I would dare to record my production too. I have to explain, anyway, that by far most of my works are in Italian even if I was able to publish in English some articles too togheter with Vincent O'Hara, an authoritative USA naval history author.

The articles in English were published by Conway's "Warship":

2004 A Century Long Dream: Single Purpose Engine Submarines of the Italian Navy
2005 The Star Crossed Split: the Troubled Story of un Unlucky Flagship
2006 The Breakout Fleet: the Oceanic Programmes of the Regia Marina, 1934-1940
The World's Worst Warships round three (a study about the 5.000 t Condottieri Italian light cruisers)
2007 Search for a Flattop: the Italian Navy and the Aircraft Carrier 1907-2007

While Pacific War published a study by Vince and me about the Italian Navy in the Far East before World War Two and until 1943

In the 2008 ediction will follow a study about the Italian motor torpedo boats development and actions until 1934

World War Two Quarterly is going to publish two articles too.

I published in Italian 14 books

Marinelettro e il radiotelemetro italiano (an history of the Italian Navy radar development since 1935 until 1944)
La notte del Lupo (about the history of the 21 May 1941 night action off Crete)
I sette minuti di Punta Stilo (about the 9 July 1940 action off Calabria)
Il sottomarino italiano (about the Italian Navy endeavours since 1909 to commission a single purpose engine submarine)
Domenico Cavagnari, storia di un ammiraglio ( a biography of the Chief of staff of the Italian Navy between 1934 and 1940)
Fuoco dal Mare (an history of the shore bombardment from the sea since 1338 until 1941)
La vittoria in prestito (two edictions; an hisotry of the Italian 8 Sept. 1943 armistice according the US Navy documents available in the FDR Library of N.Y. which states quite a different story from the one usually reported)
Il grande gioco (the British and Italian oil rivality since 1947 until 1979)
Fecero tutti il loro dovere (an history of the Italian Navy during World War II suppling the reader quite a non conventional vision and numbers)
Vincere, vinceremo ... e se avessimo vinto? (a fiction with Mussolini gaining the war in 1943 by a single phone call which is the only invention of the plot, being all the other infos, even the most amazing, real and based on original documents with the archives ref. in note)
Contro amici e nemici (an history of the Italian Navy during the Cold War since 1947 until 1979)

I published then with the noted author Cdr. Erminio Bagnasco "Le navi da guerra italiane 1940-1945"
and contributed to Michele Gaetani's "Stive ed Egemonia" a very non conventional confrontation between the Battel of the Atlantic and the Battle of convoys in the Mediterranean Sea.

Not to mention little more than 200 articles, mainly of naval history, on the "Rivista Marittima" (the Italian Navy staff monthly since 1868), "STORIA militare", "Lega Navale", "RID", "Storica" and on "La Provincia Pavese".

Greetings

EC
Ciàpla adasi, stà léger.
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Re: Enrico Cernuschi

Post by John P. Moore »

Enrico - Thank you for informing us of your impressive list of publications. Could you please give us some details about which one of your books you believe is the best and why? Could you also tell us about how you conducted your research?

John
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Hi John,

first let me underline I'm an amateur and not a professional. The most authoritative book of mine is, according critics, the one I wrote with Bagnasco as it's considered the defintive study about the Italian navy during World War Two.

My system is to check the British and Italian versions of the same action or campaign, to identify by confrontation the differences and to dig noth at the PRO and in the archives of the Uffico Storico della Marina Militare in Rome for the documents of the time.

The rules, after more than twenty years of such an exercise, are always the following ones:

there are at least two or, often three British versions quite different among them and wrote within days or, at most, months, from the episodes;

they are all victims in a measure increasing with the time of the same war propaganda orders to minimize or suppress their own losses or damages

these versions did not change after the war

the Italian proceedings are much more professional

the final result is a picure quite different form the available versions which are ofter in contrast not only with the timing and even places of the actions, but are conflictual with teh laws of phisics too.

In a word ther's the necessity to write almost everything from the begining as the critical and material value of the British stories (HMSO ones included) is nera the absolute zero.
The Italian reports, of course, are not 100% correct, but they allow an useful confrontation with the many British tales. The final result of this system grants a much more probable picture and supply clues for furher searches.

Bye

EC
Ciàpla adasi, stà léger.
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

Glad to see you have at last registered Enrico.Now if I could just get more serious about learning to read Italian... :[]
An unbreakable man
Enrico Cernuschi
Patron

Well, you can try with the French...

http://www.italie1935-45.com/

Bye

EC
Ciàpla adasi, stà léger.
cedric mas

Post by cedric mas »

Hello Enrico,

Glad to see you here also !

I'm really impressed with all your articles and books...

You must give it also to the italia35-45 forum also !

Is it possible to know your articles and books written in Italian also (as I can read it) ?

Thanks,

CM