Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Discussion, background, reviews, and critical analysis of works by Feldgrau.net members who are published authors.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Feldgrau Author: Mark C Yerger

Post by Jason Pipes »

Place holder for discussions specifically related to forum member Mark C Yerger and his various published works.

Mark's list of published books include the following titles. Mark's work has highlighted the 2nd SS Division as well as commanders of the Waffen SS and his books are must have resources covering these topics.

Knights of Steel: The Structure, Development and Personalities of the 2.SS-Panzer-Division "Das Reich," volume 1: Divisional Commanders, Divisional Staff, Panzer Regiment, Artillery Regiment

Knights of Steel, The Structure, Development and Personalities of the 2.SS-Panzer-Division "Das Reich," volume 2: Motorcycle Battalion, Assault Gun Detachment, Battle Group "Das Reich," Engineer Battalion

Riding East: The SS Cavalry Brigade in Poland and Russia, 1939-42

Images of the Waffen-SS: A Photo Chronicle of Germany's Elite Troops

Waffen-SS Commanders: The Army, Corps and Division Leaders of a Legend, Volume 1: Augsberger - Kreutz

Waffen-SS Commanders: the Army, Corps and Divisional Leaders of a Legend (2 VOLUME SET) V.1 Augsberger to Kreutz, V.2 Kruger to Zimmermann

SS Sturmbannführer Ernst August Krag: Träger des Ritterkreuzes mit Eichenlaub, Kommandeur SS-Sturmgeschütz-abteilung 2/SS-Panzer-Aufklärungsabteilung 2 "Das Reich"

SS-Obersturmbannführer Otto Weidinger: Knight's Cross with Oakleaves and Swords SS-Panzer-Grenadier-Regiment 4 "Der Führer"

Otto Kumm Knight's Cross with Oakleaves and Swords Commander SS-Panzer -Grenadier-Regiment 4 "Der Fuhrer" 7.SS-Freiwilligen-Gebirgs-Division "Prinz Eugen" 1. SS-Panzer-Division "Leibstandarte"

Allgemeine-SS, The Commands, Units, and Leaders of the General SS

German Cross in Gold Volume I: "Das Reich" Kurt Amlacher to Heinz Lorenz

German Cross in Gold Volume II: "Das Reich" Karl-Heinz Lorenz to Herbert Zimmermann

German Cross in Silver Holders of the SS and Police
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Mark Yerger has published more than a dozen books since Volume 1 of “Knights of Steel” appeared in 1989. I have read them all and I have never been disappointed. His writing style is a presentation of facts in an easy to read manner. His research is meticulous and what sets him apart from many other writers was his success in establishing personal relationships with so many senior Waffen-SS commanders. Mark met many of these veterans in person when he attended the annual Regiment “Der Führer” reunions in Lenggries. His books are always extremely well footnoted with detailed explanations or source information for readers wanting to research in greater depth. Mark’s contribution to the area of Waffen-SS research is second to none. His current series on the German Cross in Gold holders of the various divisions is extremely noteworthy with the inclusion of very good translations of the official period descriptions of their combat actions that justified this high award. I wish Mark continued success.

John
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Hi to all

Thanks for the nice comment John. My general purpose in the current German Cross holder series is actually beyond the basic title. My general interest has always been structure & development of units and facilities as well as individual biographical research. The GC series, aside from the obvious title topic, encompasses those interests. Detail biographies are given for the divisional commanders and 1st Staff Officers of the unit being examined, as well as the development of the individual elements of the formation. Likewise numerous commanders who did not win the award, but are relative to the topic, are included. The varied careers of the award holders include details of their assignments or odd units posted to, as well as many who held a post or command before and after. The series also covers the Honor Clasp and Close Combat Clasp in Gold holders of each formation.

Volumes 3 and 4 will be out in the first half of 2008. #3 is designed and at the printer. Volume 4 went to the publisher the day before Christmas and Bender has told me design work will start in January (this month).

My major inspiration as a historian was and is Swords holder Otto Weidinger. My general research and presentation style was influenced early by vol. 5 of Taylor/Bender "Uniforms of the Waffen-SS." Among my (numerous) all time favorite books are "Anatomy of the SS State" and "The Black Corps." Among my favorite (again from many) researchers and authors are George Nipe, John Moore, Ignacio Arrondo, Hugh Page Taylor, Georg Tessin, Andreas Schulz, Rudolf Lehmann, Otto Weidinger, Wilhelm Tieke.

Mark
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

How many volumes will eventually be published?
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Assuming I don't fall over, 11 is the estimate.
pzrmeyer2

Post by pzrmeyer2 »

Mark, its really great to have you back. Keep up the fantastic stuff!
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

My HIAG Ehrennadel in Gold document, signed by among others Hubert Meyer, former Ia of "Hitlerjugend" and a holder of the German Cross in Gold. He wrote the divisional history of 12SS. click to enlarge

[img][img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/715/121in2.jpg[/img][/img]
Last edited by Mark C Yerger on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:30 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

a few dedicated persons from those I've met or written with at length.

Last edited by Mark C Yerger on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Award from the 18/33 divisions association for helping with the HW history
click to enlarge

Last edited by Mark C Yerger on Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Outstanding Mark! Very impressive. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

a next of kin death document for an officer of the Polizei Division, signed by eventual Swords holder Dörner, a gift from the staff of the Military Archiv in Prague during one of my visits

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

more dedicated photos

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

a few more

Mark C Yerger
Author & Moderator

Post by Mark C Yerger »

Ralph, mentioned in the acknowledgements of every book I've written for the last 10 years :)

John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

The HIAG Ehrennadel in Gold/Gold HIAG Cross that Mark received is especially significant. This was positive recognition of his work from the highest level of the veterans` association of the Waffen-SS.

I spent a week in the Prague military archive back in 1992 prior to Mark's visit. All I got was outstanding cooperation from the archive staff and a suitcase full of document copies. However, Mark was single and I believe that the young female archivist Zuzanna was attracted to Mark and wanted him to stay longer. That was back in the good old days right after the archive make its holdings available to researchers and provided us with private offices to work in with requested files appearing in only a matter of minutes.

John