What do YOU do to stay in shape?

A place for off-topic posts not related to this website. All messages are purged frequently.
Annelie
Patron

What do YOU do to stay in shape?

Post by Annelie »

Paddy brought up a subject to which I am curious about members?

What do you do to stay in shape?
Annelie

Re: What do YOU do to stay in shape?

Post by phylo_roadking »

I merely interpret the word "shape" as something more...amorphous...only fully understandable with quantum mechanics... :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

I merely interpret the word "shape" as something more...amorphous...only fully understandable with quantum mechanics...

:D :D

Okay, I suppose I mean optimum health and fitness for your age and health.....
Always liked the saying "lean and mean" what is it that the marines say....Ho rah(?)

:D
Annelie

Post by statemachine »

The weight room,although it's just once a week these days.Walk,run with my two large dogs every morning and evening.They won't take no for an answer.
An unbreakable man
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Old-style weight training for toning rather than building, involving ten or so exercises a session, each exercise involving a series of twelve or fifteen movements, each series repeated three times with short pauses in-between. Free weights vastly preferable to guided weights, as the whole mind and body has to be concentrated on balance and muscle group isolation. Otherwise you risk doing yourself serious harm.

Day #1 for shoulders and arms, day #2 for torso, day #3 for legs. Break for one day with some swimming...or just riding one of my old but fast and heavy motorbikes for that vibro-effect as we don't have jacuzzis here. Then maybe a cardio session involving an hour or so on a bicycle or ski machine, with some light isotonics and pull-ups. Finish up in the hammam or sauna, followed by a cold shower. I sometimes train in a boxing gym and occasionally spar but it's getting hard to find places in this town where they do old-style boxing as opposed to kick-boxing, which I find terribly vulgar.

This is augmented by swimming, walking and some running, although the city in which I live does not lend itself to running. I eat normally, in terms of not feeling guilty about large plates of steak and chips, washed down with a bottle of wine. But I avoid junk food, excessive beer and strong liquor, the latter being a principle culprit when it comes to having to let that belt out by an another hole. Mind you, Tequila isn't too fattening. I also keep it down to one main meal a day, in general.

PK
moanalot

Post by moanalot »

I am in perfect shape for a circle. What more do you want? I went to look at an house I was interested in buying. I asked the seller "Do you mind if I look round?" He replied " You look round to me you fat ba---rd."
Schwerepanzer Abteilung 502.
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Walk wherever my feet take me. Must be in the genes as a descendant of a long line of Infantrie men.

- Hans

PS. Positive thinking also helps. Even when I'm negative I'm positive about it. :D
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Walk wherever my feet take me
You should get that command circuit problem seen to!

"Oh 'eck, Gromit! - it's the Wrong Trousers!!!"

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Paddy Keating wrote:..... but it's getting hard to find places in this town where they do old-style boxing.......
They're almost non-existant nowadays, those old, damp,smelly, badly-lit boxing schools where one learned to fight instead of prancing about like some wannabe oriental primadonna or working machines in airconditioned, clean, bright, look-at-me-centres.

I quit boxing years ago and changed to yoga, an excellent routine that requires concentration and balance while working all muscles and the mind. An hour a day keeps me in shape just fine.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I rely on my Type A personality, high levels of self-induced stress, and smoking. My winter workout consists of shoveling that white shite that falls all over the damned place.

I'm 5'11" and I weigh about 165-170 in the winter.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

I jog, and I hate every step! But I just think of all the roast potatoes that I can eat without a guilty concience, and that's what gets me round. I've lost a total of 42lbs in just over 18 months, so it works.
Thanks. Dave.
jerijerod
Supporter

Post by jerijerod »

well there are two extremes...

One is to go to work and give myself a stressful day worrying about what i'm doing and marriage and stuff... usually makes me feel so ill that i can't eat :wink:

Or my favourite, which keeps me in the genetic shape that is so complementary. I go to KFC and have a large wicked zinger tower meal with a diet coke... :D
"War ist die Royal Air force???"

"Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you over estimate their chances!"
moanalot

Post by moanalot »

I am on an "A" food diet. Anything that begins with "A", I can eat. So I can have A Bag of Chips, A Hamburger, A Hotdog, A McDonalds, A KFC. Because I am a fat ba---rd.
Schwerepanzer Abteilung 502.
sebastian
Contributor

Post by sebastian »

i play airsoft in a team
united we stand,divided we fall
Moltke d. J.

Post by Moltke d. J. »

Ride a bicycle for each distance shorter than 5 kilometres. It works, I assure you. It may save you a few bucks, too.

Frank