Grandfather's military records and regiment

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

Pelena

Grandfather's military records and regiment

Post by Pelena »

Hello- I am doing some research on my family and I'm looking to find my grandfather's military records. I'm told he was a prisoner of war in Russia. I have tried the Red Cross and have initiated a search with the Deutsche Dienststelle. I have also been advised it may be worth going to Freiburg in person to the archives there- anyone have any advice/experience of this?
Finally, I'm trying to identify his regiment. This is a photo was taken shortly after his release from Soviet captivity at the end of January 1946 (or so I'm told- it seems quite early). He was sent to the front (I presume eastern) towards the end of 1942, aged 21, having previously been able to delay because of his engineering studies. I would be really grateful if anyone could help! (I'm also a German speaker so answers in German welcome!)
Attachments
wolfgangsoldier.jpeg
wolfgangsoldier.jpeg (209.73 KiB) Viewed 6802 times
Alex Dekker
Associate

Re: Grandfather's military records and regiment

Post by Alex Dekker »

You should get his military records (or kopies of it) at the WASt Dienststelle Berlin. Now a part of the Bundesarchiv, they can help you out with the information.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.