German Military size 1935 to 1939

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

zdowling

German Military size 1935 to 1939

Post by zdowling »

My name is Zoe. I study International Affairs at Lewis and Clark University. I'm currently in the process of collecting date for a senior thesis about the conditions under which states choose a strategy of appeasement. One of my measurements requires comparing the absolute size of British and Germany military's from 1935 to 1939.
I'm measuring this in total number of enrolled personnel for the army, navy and air force. I believe for Germany this was known as the Wehrmacht. Some of the statistics on this website seem to utilize this data for Germany. However only data for 1939 is provided. Thus far I've had no luck either online or in print research finding data for 1935 to 1939. I was hoping someone could point me to a source that could provide them. Ideally this would mean a value for each year.
Thank you for your help.
zdowling

Re: German Military size 1935 to 1939

Post by zdowling »

I've looked on these sites but the data is not exactly what I need.
The guardian link above is where I previously found the necessary data for Britain. The measurement for Germany needs to be something I can use to compare to that. In sum, I need to have the total size (aggregate enrolled persons for the military, air force, and navy) for all, or at least most of the years from 1935 to 1939. So far I've only been able to find bits and pieces, but those really don't do me any good. I've scoured the internet pretty extensively. I don't speak German but I'm wondering if this data is available on the German Federal Ministry of Defence.
Thanks for your help,
Zoe
ljadw
Supporter

Re: German Military size 1935 to 1939

Post by ljadw »

Question : what do you include for Britain ? "White" troops only or also "coloured" units ?

For Germany : see : Aufrüstung der Wehrmacht on Wiki .