German situation maps on this site

Feldgrau's WWII operational map project, map research, archives, tools and techniques, and research requests.

Moderator: Abicht

Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Thanks very much for the feedback... I hope we get more so we can improve.

I did tell Jason that it was a typo and that it was Battle of Kiev 1941 on 1943, so I am sorry it didnt get corrected for you order.

I should have to Jason within 24 hours details on each map set. I cant go into supre detail as there are 5000 plus maps, but you are right dates are needed... and coming very soon

The Sevastopol maps set was not listed as a Battle, but just a 3 maps set. Again I should have added that is was part over the plans and operations to evac the area.

I will ensure we add more detail, and if you could please PM me.

Thanks for the feedback!
M.Abicht
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Thanks indeed for the feedback, it is much appreciated. In fact we are starting a brand new section of the forum for discussion of these operational maps, about archives in general, and doing research, etc. The topic is hot enough and important enough to have it's own section. Look for it soon!

Regarding the Kiev dates you are correct that was an oversight on our behalf and it has been fixed. If you want a refund on that let us know and we can do whatever we can since those weren't the maps you thought you were getting.

I just want to say also that the vast majority of the maps include fantastic detail and are very clear and easy to read. Some of course will show the ravages of time but don't forget you can scroll in pretty far on almost every map since they are scanned at very high resolution. I've been very pleased with the details I've seen so far!
YXK

Post by YXK »

Kharkov 1942 maps set:

Just would like to add few comments about this maps so that future buyers can have clear understanding what this set includes.

1. It covers offensive and counter-offensive on day by day basis, i.e. from May 11 through May 30, plus there is general overview map.
2. Does not cover Soviet attack to the north (straight on to) of Kharkov which was the part of overall Soviet plan.
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

Just received my first CD: WWII German Operational Map set, misc, 1937-1943
(Sent 21 July, received 25 July; US Post - Air Mail)

Containing the following four maps:
GER POL UNITS.JPG = Unterkunft der Stäbe und Truppen 1937-38, dated 06-01-38 (also shows Polish units in western Poland)

GER UNIT LOCALS 38-39.JPG = Unterkunft der Stäbe und Truppen 1938-39, dated 02-02-39

GER UNITS 38-39.JPG = Unterkunft der Stäbe und Truppen 1938-39, dated 02-02-39 (identical to above, only darker)

K4-12 Jan 1940 east sit.JPG = Lage Ost Anfang Januar 1940, dated 12-01-40.

And the following seven orders of battle, (NOT maps):
OB Nord 24.7.43.JPG = Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen Nord, dated 24-07-43.

OB Nord 30.8.43.JPG = Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen Nord, dated 30-08-43.

OB Sec Mitte 1.9.43.JPG = Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen Mitte, dated 01-09-43.

OB Sec Mitte 24.7.43.JPG = Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen Mitte, dated 24-07-43.

OB Sec Sud 24.7.43.JPG = Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen A und Süd, dated 24-07-43.

OB Sec Sud 31.8.43.JPG = Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen A und Süd, dated 31-08-43.

OB Sec various.JPG =
- Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen W.K.K. Gen.Gouv., dated 31-08-43
- Schematische Kräfteübersicht Sicherungstruppen W.B.U{kraine} & W.B.O{stland}, dated 01-08-43

Unfortunately, the scans of the OB Sec Mitte 1.9.43.JPG, OB Sec Sud 31.8.43.JPG and OB sec various.JPG files are too small for the lesser text, and also for battalion ID's and such to be readable at 1:1, and too unsharp at 2:1 and larger.

Secondly, as mentioned before, I would have appreciated more detailed information regarding the contents. Otherwise, the maps are well scanned, and offer valuable information.

Thirdly, again a minor matter, I would like to see the individual CD's identified or numbered in some way as they all look the same at the present. If you have several of these, (and I certainly plan to acquire more), it could lead to confusion.

A very valiant and valuable project.
Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Leo-

Thank you very much for the feedback. Well I went back to look at the scans of the OB sets and am unhappy with them as you are, the smaller order units are nearly impossible to read. I am puzzeled by this as the other sit maps with very small print and such are readable at the same resolution.

The fix... I will pull those maps (OB charts but they are labeled as maps at NARA) and rescan them to the best of my ability so all the text is readable and resend them to you of course no charge. This is if the documents are of the quality to do so. The issue is I cant promise this will be within days, but within a few weeks (less then 4). I am sorry for this but I will be finally on holiday, otherwise it would be asap.

Finally Leo and all members, please remember this is a labor of love, we are and will improve, nobody else is doing this, and we will correct wrongs. This is a growing project and will be the best!

Thanks for the feedback!
M.Abicht
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

Looks like some teething problems. That was bound to happen on this large project as it happens with all large projects.
And in this instance the solution is immediately offered and the problem set straight.
Well done Abicht!!

Best of luck,

Paul
Leo Niehorster
Author

Post by Leo Niehorster »

My comments were meant as constructive criticism. I certainly appreciate the effort being made, and especially the personal time spent for this project. Thank you.

Have a nice holiday. Will also be on "vacation" in August, a week at the BA-MA in Freiburg.

Cheers
Leo
Information not passed on is lost.
URL: World War II Armed Forces
Redneck

Post by Redneck »

Hi, I looking for German maps (situation maps, field fortifications) of East Prussia (Konigsberg, Samland) 1945 and most detailed information about the battles. Is the such information available? I can describe researching areas more exactly :wink:
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Yes there are sit maps covering the operations in East Prussia in 1945, but I have yet to get to scanning them. As far as field fortifications go, NARA doenst have anything like this. I did see about 6-8 weeks ago on Ebay fortification maps and minefield plans being offered for Konigsberg, but they went for several hundred dollars. Another point how fair the Feldgrau prices are for the maps!
M.Abicht
Oasis

Post by Oasis »

Hi Abicht
I am looking for Tobruk (1941) and Alamein/Ruweisat (1942) maps of N.A. and also Italy maps august-september 1944 (Gothic Line - Pesaro to Rimini)

Can you help me ?? :roll:

Thanks

Oasis
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Abicht wrote:Another point how fair the Feldgrau prices are for the maps!
Matt, my basic math skills show that these maps are running under a dollar a map. If you get any more fair than that, you'll be paying us to take them from you!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Tom-

I would be happy to hike up the cost if you think that would be better! Just kidding!

On a serious note - there are two more map set coming as soon as Jason can get them up (and I get him details/dates).

New set 1 includes about 85 maps from June 26 1938 to September 30 1939 with the obvious emphasis on Poland. They show German, Polish, and Soviet forces and includes a few nice professionally make maps on a large scale of some specifc battles.

New set 2 includes all the Ost maps from 1 October 1939 through 30 June 1941. Covers all the movements of units from Germany ect to jump off positions for Barbarosa then the first 9 days of the invasion. I forgot off the top of my head how many are in this set but seems to be about 73 maps.

I will switch to the western front next set.
M.Abicht
Maurice the Archivist

Post by Maurice the Archivist »

I came across feldgrau.net whilst searching the net. Your plan to offer CDs of German situation maps caught my eye and I ordered seven of the CD's. All the maps came on one CD which initially caused some concern as I would expect the map files to be at least 50MB each. The files on the CD ranged from 3MB to around 14MB with one around 26MB. My viewer software tells me these maps were scanned at 600dpi but the JPEG compression is so high that they effectively become 120dpi. Consequently most are unreadable when you zoom in.

My question is: Were your original scans saved with compression set too high by the scanning software? or was it from any image manipulation software you used at a later date?

Do you plan to offer these maps at their original scan file size? Obviously you will only fit a dozen or so per CD, but I'm sure at any price they are bargains.

Obviously any new enterprise has teething problems at first and it is not my purpose to discourage you, indeed I want to give you all the support possible. You are providing an invaluable service to the serious historian, especially those who live overseas. I have had some experience in scanning maps in the past, so know the problems that can arise.
Gregory Deych

Post by Gregory Deych »

I also had quite a lot of difficulty reading the unit designations on the maps in the "Ost 1941 set" - for example the Ost 22 Jun 41A2 map. Is this something that might be fixed?
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful. I haven't had any problem viewing details when scrolled in. Every single detail isn't crisp at full zoom, but I can read unit names and locations fine. That being said we are working on a way to offer the files in uncompressed format so that those that want them or are interested can get them. Matt will respond shortly on this matter as well.