Feldgrau Author: Martin Bamber

A place to relocate messages and threads that should be deleted.
LegionFreiesIndien

Feldgrau Author: Martin Bamber

Post by LegionFreiesIndien »

My name is Martin Bamber and I’d like to inform the members of this forum about the publication of my first book:

For Free India - Indian Soldiers in Germany and Italy during the Second World War

The book presents the full history of the soldiers of the British Indian Army (and others) who were recruited from their prison-of-war camps by the famous Nationalist Leader, “Netaji” Subhas Chandra Bose, to serve in the specially established Indian volunteer units of the German Heer & Waffen-SS and the Italian Regio Esercito during the Second World War.

It is the product of over a decade of research by myself and my editor, publisher and collaborator: Aad Neeven. It brings together every piece of information that we have been able to locate about the organisation, history, movements and operations of the Legion Freies Indien / Indische Freiwilligen Legion der Waffen-SS in Germany and the Battaglione Azad Hindostan in Italy. These units have not previously been the subject of a full-scale publication dedicated to telling the story behind their establishment, history and ultimate fates in the same depth of detail which is to be found in this book.

Archival materials from Germany, Italy and Britain, as well as personal collections, have been accessed in order to make this book as complete as is possible.

In addition to the history of the units themselves, the insignia and special awards created for the units are covered and illustrated with full-colour artwork and photographs. The story of Axis propaganda directed towards the Indian soldier’s homeland as well as their motivation for enlisting in the armies of the Third Reich and Fascist Italy also receive full attention. The text is supported by several full-colour maps and the reproduction of original wartime documents and the book also features over four hundred illustrations, many of which have never been published before, including numerous photographs from the personal album of a former Indian member of the Legion Freies Indien.

We feel that this book will complement the library of anyone with an interest in the foreign volunteers that served in the armed forces of the European Axis Powers during the Second World War.

The book is presented in hardback, in A4 format and printed on high-quality 120g/m² paper and runs to no less than 456 pages including a full index of persons.

ISBN: 978-94-6019-016-2

Price: EUR €62 plus S&H from the Netherlands.

For further information and ordering visit: http://www.freeindianlegion.info
Attachments
Front Cover of "For Free India"
Front Cover of "For Free India"
For Free India Front Cover.jpg (75.42 KiB) Viewed 2907 times
"For Free India" - www.freeindianlegion.info