Let me share with you.....

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Let me share with you.....

Post by phylo_roadking »

...a VERY useful tip, for those of us into lead/pewter/zinc etc. wargaming miniatures. Ever bought these secondhand, or wanted to redo a poxy paintjob? :wink: ...and as you know, paintstripper is good, but not brilliant, always leaves SOME behind in bloody awkward places.

Well, there IS a solution - quite literally! IF theyre painted in modelling enamels, as used to be the ONLY way to do it - in bygone years before the "awful" creation of acrylics.....

Cheap liquid ovencleaner in a handpump bottle!

Put the miniatures in a glass container - even a tumbler! - fill to the top with the liquid oven cleaner. Walk away. Come back 48 hours later and wash them clean in cold water.

And my god will they be clean!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Phylo,

Where were you with this information in 1976 when I bought a cheap but badly painted Minifigs Napoleonic Bavarian army and tried to strip it to repaint it as the entire Baden Army? There are still the bodies of eight infantry battalions, a guards battalion, a jaeger battalion, two regiments of light dragoons, a liebgarde squadron, heavy and horse artillery conpanies and and engineer company littering the attic like the aftermath of a paraticularly bloody segment of Borodino!

By the way, have you read "Achtung Schweinhund. A Boy's Own Story of Imaginary Combat" by Harry Pearson? (Little, Brown, London, 2007). [£9.99]

It is the very funny memoirs of a devoted wargamer in his 50s. It is a must read for those of us overgrown boys nostalgic for the simple world of early 1970s wargaming, model making, etc.

Cheers,

Sid.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

....in 1976 I was doing the bad painting! Hence the wondrousness of this tip now!!!

Looking at all those wonderful Minifigs' Alexander Nevsky figures under their paint and dust and thinking...."Kingdom of Heaven"!!! :D :D :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

I agree Sid, Achtung Schweinhund is a little gem. All I have to do now is dog out some of the old Don Featherstone books to comlete the trip down memory lane :D
Regards

Howard
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Howard.

Don wrote some great books!

I remember one in particlar about Western Desert wargaming in WWII, at a 1 model = 1 tank scale. Very good.
He was a Veteran, I believe.
Thanks. Dave.