Need a good PC wargame

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.
David W
Patron

Re: Need a good PC wargame

Post by David W »

Can you get any "board" wargame (hex) style WWII games that are actually any good?
Allied general; is the best I've tried to date, and it's pretty poor. As the units are pretty unrealistic in their abilities.
Thanks. Dave.
51st Highland Div

Post by 51st Highland Div »

I must admit im a keen fan of the Operational Art of War Series..especially OpArt III.Worth having a look if your interested in the hex series PC Wargames and quite a few scenarios covering the past 100 years..especially the massive War in Russia scenarios :shock:
David W
Patron

Post by David W »

Never heard of it, but I'll keep an eye out for it, thanks.
Thanks. Dave.
Gene

What About Panzer General and Close Combat!?

Post by Gene »

Guys, If you want some great PC Wargames, without a whole lot of chrome, try "Panzer General" and "Panzer
General II". Close Combat I & III (Normandy & Eastern Front) are pretty great too. Thanks to Panzer General
(and Guy Sager) a significant portion of my library is now devoted to books about the Wehrmacht with
particular emphasis on Orders of Battle and the Eastern Front.
These games are pretty old and require Windows 95 but I'll probably be playing 'em until my last breath.
If you're interested in the American Civil War, "R.E. Lee, Civil War General" is my humble recommendation
for a good place to start.
Maybe i'm preaching the obvious but Panzer General and Close Combat have gotten me through some tough
times in lousy climes and places. Best/Gene
JR
Supporter

Post by JR »

try the "sudden strike" series or "panzer corp wehrmacht"
Joan Rebecca
Charlie645
Supporter

Post by Charlie645 »

Battlefront.com has released the second generation of its superb "Combat Mission" game with "Combat Mission: Battle of Normandy", plus an add-on module that includes Allied Commonwealth forces. This is a cutting-edge top of the line tactical game with superb graphics and a powerful editor for creating your own scenarios. Rumor has it they will be creating an Ostfront game in this series as well. The units are squads and individual AFVs, maps up to about 3 x 3 K. This is not a "beer and pretzels" easy game to play, but it is stunning in its realism and accuracy.

Charlie 645