Are you a wargamer?

Miniatures, board wargames and computer games related to WWII.

How do you consider yourself when it comes to wargames?

What are wargames?
2%
I played a wargame once many years ago...
8%
Why play tabletop when you can play computer?
20%
I own a few tabletop wargames.
14%
I own many tabletop wargames and play often.
10%
I play tabletop wargames very frequently!
9%
I'm a full fledged wargame collector.
37%

Total votes: 87

grumblejones

Re: Are you a wargamer?

Post by grumblejones »

Been a gamer since the age of 5, when I got my first set of Britians Confederate infantry. Over the years, I have spent considerable time with tabletop gaming (Airfix, ESCI, Atlantic, Revell miniatures). I also collect and paint 15mm American Civil War (primarily Old Glory minis). I also collected (too many) Warhammer, Warhammer 40K and Lord of the Rings to game with my son. I tried Flames of War, but just hated the Napoleonic look it has on the table. I much prefer skirmish type gaming with WWII minis. In my opinion...bases are just like counters and if I'm going to use counters, I prefer to play Advanced Squad Leader.

I have also played Panzerblitz, Panzer Leader, Tobruk, Midway, Terrible Swift Sword, Caesaer at Alesia, Wooden Ships and Iron Men, Luftwaffe and others.

But of course as family and career dominate more and more of my time, I have focused on Advanced Squad Leader.
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

If you like Squad Leader you might want to take a look at the Conflict of Heroes games. I got to play a demo at a con recently and it was very fast to pick up and had a lot of the same feel as Squad Leader. Their url is www.conflictofHeroes.com if you want to check them out. One of the designers was their and taught two of us to play in under 10 minutes. Probably would have been 5 but the second guy showed up just as he finished going over the rules with me. The ease of learning feature can be a real winner if you are trying to recruit new opponents in particular younger ones.
madmike

Post by madmike »

Played Wargames ages ago.Liked them alot but believe I forgot how to play them.Have played first person games on computer.Have always been interested in miniature armies but have never created one.
Rick Cundiff

Post by Rick Cundiff »

Big time wargamer from 1975. Have most games from AH and SPI. I prefer the Eastern Front in WWII. I love tactical miniatures games the most. To me, there is nothing like the deflecting shot off a finely painted GHQ miniature. Right now I am doing research on the north shoulder of the battle of Kursk. See my question about Teploye in this forum (Battles) for an interesting bit.