Uniform ID please?

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

cassarnold

Uniform ID please?

Post by cassarnold »

Hi,
This is a pic of my grandfather in 1918 or so. He was of East Prussian descent and was killed in WWII in 1940 or so. I think he was airforce observer? Any insights? And can anyone please explain to me what exactly is an "air force observer"--was he a pilot?

thanks
Cassandra
Attachments
Horst WWI.jpg
Horst WWI.jpg (33.71 KiB) Viewed 5838 times
ealdwita

Re: Uniform ID please?

Post by ealdwita »

The Observer's badge was worn by Prussian Army pilots who no longer flew on active duty.
cassarnold

Re: Uniform ID please?

Post by cassarnold »

Thank you for your response. I appreciate every nugget received.

But now I am more confused--I thought an observer was in training to become a pilot--? So this means he was a pilot and then was demoted or became an observer? Again, what exactly were the duties of an observer? I know that he broke both his legs at some point during that time, although do not know if it was at the same time.

Could he have perhaps been severely injured and then went back as an observer? This photo was taken in 1918, when Horst was 21 years old. I don't know at what age he started in the force, but perhaps as 18 or so. I heard that he "volunteered" as an observer. Would like to know anything more about that if possible. Family lore says that he was an observer in the same "group" as H. Goering.

thanks much,
Cassandra