Women Auxilleries and Non-Whites in the Heer

First World War 1914-1918 from the German perspective.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Wolery
Supporter

Women Auxilleries and Non-Whites in the Heer

Post by Wolery »

OK, any one who's read my posts knows I'm trying to write an AH story. However, I would like most of it to be based in fact.

1. I know that there were small african German communities in the Fatherland from 1890. Therefore I have postulated that some of them might have fought in the war in Europe, as the Germans needed every body it could get, or so it seems. I have a Chinese imigrant from German Tsiango getting drafted in the the Great War to fight in the east. Aftyer the war, I have the non-white War vets form something called the "Colored Germans War Veterans Society" (open to non white vets of all theaters). But I was wondering if more traditional vets organizations like the Steel Helmets did or did not exclude non-white vets from their ranks. So, did I hit something close to the mark, or am I way off?

2. Were there women auxilleries in the German military, like in medicine, supply, etc? If so, what did their uniforms look like?

3. Oh, and while I'm here, is it possible that a colonel could get a commision for his sone as a Lt. without the son having completed Abitur? Considering the kid is vet of Tannenburg and decorated with the Iron Cross 1st class for extreme bravery under fire? And what would the alternate qualification test consist of.

I hope I've asked pertinent questions, I certainly hope they are interesting too.
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello Wolery!

Here's a link to an informative website on the German Schutztruppen and the native Askari soldiers who fought in them during WWI...

http://www.germancolonialuniforms.co.uk/

And here are some photographs of Askaris participating in re-unions in Nazi Germany in the thirties. I'm ashamed to admit that I have forgotten which website I took them from. Will post that when I remember...

And here's the classic photo of an ex-Askari participating as a driver in a German Freikorps in 1919...

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

And as promised, here's the source link to the first two photographs. A very good website with lot's and lot's of very interesting photographs connected to the german colonial era and it's input on the two world wars...

http://www.stub.bildarchiv-dkg.uni-frankfurt.de/

Regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Henrik Andersson
Supporter

Re: Women Auxilleries and Non-Whites in the Heer

Post by Henrik Andersson »

Did Germany paye pension to black veterans and how much whay pay them?
Quax der Bruchpilot
Supporter

Re: Women Auxilleries and Non-Whites in the Heer

Post by Quax der Bruchpilot »

The "pension question" was not found. I found a quotation thatthe most famous one, the "Askari" warriors received the double wages as compared to British black soldiers.

http://www.suite101.com/content/black-a ... -i-a324213