"Hiwi Graves"

German Heer 1935-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Thomas Koulis

"Hiwi Graves"

Post by Thomas Koulis »

Dear Members,

Was it common for German soldiers to errect graves for Hilfsfreiwillige that were attched to their units? Also are photos showing such graves common? I have an Original Photo of grave for a "Hiwi" errected by members of GrenRgt 528. It is contained in the wartime album of Ritterkreuzträger Herr Freidrich Dörmann (who commanded II. GrenRgt 528) which I purchased a few months ago.

Many thanks for your assistance!
Thomas.
mightythor99
Enthusiast

wow! sounds cool!

Post by mightythor99 »

i'd say photos of hiwi's graves is probably not very common. how are the graves marked,..........."hiwi", or with their names? the russians probably dishonored the graves when they advanced too.
sounds like you got a great album!
:up: :up:
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
Thomas Koulis

Post by Thomas Koulis »

Hello,

Thanks for ypour reply.
Unfortunately I cannot post this Original photo here because it’s stuck into the album. But I can give you a description of this grave. The photo shows a traditional style grave - a wooden cross - the wood evidently taken from a fence (missing a number of panels) which is clearly visible in the background. On the vertical section - at the top the Iron Cross, underneath that the initial GR, underneath this 528. On the horizontal section it written in the traditional Gothic style script - Hiwi geb gef 5.1.44
As you can see there is no date of birth. There are some graves in the background of the same construction but it is impossible to see what’s written on these crosses.
The grave looks as though it was made in haste.

Thanks!

Thomas.
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

"Dishonoring" aka destroying German graves actually was a decree by Stalin. This is why so many graves have been lost and are not able to be recovered by the volksbund. I have heard of only one other Hiwi grave being erected before so I guess these few gents were good help or had friends in the units they were with and the Germans felt they should do them this small honor. Just a guess.

By they way, with the help of one of the members here I recently found a large German cemetary -from most likely the 78th Strum Division -on WWII era aerial photos in Belarus. I just hope it hasnt been too looted over the years.

Unfortunetly the volksbund still hasnt responded to my offer of photos and location of this site. Does anyone know a good contact there who will take this info?
M.Abicht
Spinechicken
Supporter

Post by Spinechicken »

I found one or two Hiwi graves while visiting La Cambe cemetery in Normandy, which quite surprised me. Photograph of one in the attached link. Whether the burial was deliberate or because they were found together after the war I'm not sure, perhaps someone can shed some light on it?

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i162/ ... rauPic.jpg

Cheers,

-SC
"An American officer asked me once 'How on earth do you kill a Tiger?', so I told him to go and shoot it up the arse."

-A soldier of the 51st (Highland) Division
mightythor99
Enthusiast

eastern peoples.................

Post by mightythor99 »

there were lots of eastern peoples fighting in france, for the germans. many were flak helpers and that sort of thing. have bought vet bring back stuff, they said they got most of it in normandy, lots of eastern peoples medals, etc.
:up: :up:
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!
HeinrichFrey
Contributor
Location: Franconia-Franconie-Franken-巴伐利亚州-Франки-فرانك-バイエルン

Post by HeinrichFrey »

Thomas Koulis wrote:Hello,

The grave looks as though it was made in haste.

Thanks!

Thomas.
The GR 528 was at that time part of the 299th Inf. Div.. They fought in January 44 in the region of Bobruisk. Shure, that the whole eastern front was in a hurry in this year. :D . The Division was destroyed in June and July near Witebsk.
Best Regards
Matthias
Best Regards
Matthias

"Lage?"-"Beschissen wäre geprahlt!"