More silly questions

German stamps, coins and paper money 1919-1945.
Mastema

More silly questions

Post by Mastema »

My father-in-law has tons of Nazi coins and some paper currency. He used to collect coins and stamps but considered the stamps and coins of the Nazi's junk. Seems his last coin price book is from 90. Are they worth anything?
Yes he's German and gave me all the War photo's from his dad. He said I could have his coin and stamp collection to give to my son later. So I guess here in the near future I'll be a collector.

He also has a few ancient Roman coins, any suggestions on how to find out information on them?
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

In both the Third Reich and the ancient coins I would suggest the same thing; go to a library and browse the appropriate coin books. Even an out of date one will give comparitive values--if a certain one is lised at ten times what most of the others are, you want to save that one out until an expert looks at it.
Most of the Third Reich coins are not really valuable, and a pretty complete collection can be built at a very moderate cost...but there are a few that are worth hundreds of dollars each--and some look the same as the others. For instance, a Hamburg mint 10 pfg. piece dated 1945 is a rare coin, yet outside of that last digit on the date it is identical to the ones worth less than a dollar.
You will have to cull them by mint mark and date using a book. There is no real shortcut.

S~
Opa
Supporter

Coins

Post by Opa »

I would not mind buying a few coins, esp. 2 RM and 5RM coins. :idea:
Honny soit qui mal y pense!
mightythor99
Enthusiast

info for ya

Post by mightythor99 »

couple of things.
first of all, there are low mintages in all coin series's.............EXEPT for the US statehood quarters.............they are making billions of each one.........they will be still "worthless" thousands of years from now....but, everyone will own a few of them,.....even martians.
anyway, it goes by date, and mintmark. mint mark = value information. german mintmarks are a, b, c, d, e, f, etc..............each mint is located in a different city.
krause coin catalog is where to go for value information,........but, a catalog value is not = to "sale price". it's sort of "fantasy price",......IF you had someone standing in front of you,........AND IF they wanted the exact coin you have for sale,............THEN you have catalog price.
but, ..................... if you have a coin, that is listed in the catalog for $100,..........then you know you have something "good",.........if it's 30 cents in the catalog,...........then you know you aint gonna be retiring to the sunny beaches of florida in the near future.......

thought................

HAVING a pile of coins and stamps does not make you a "collector".........buying a reference book, and learning all about them DOES make you a collector.

stamps are in a realm of their own. i dont collect stamps,...........too many of em look the same to me, except for a tiny thing here or there that makes them "different",...ie, water marks, slight color variations,....etc.

you can go to barnes and nobles, or borders books, and probably find a krause catalog, or maybe go to a coin shop, and order one. lots of good info in one of those...............they make them for stamps too. world coin one is $40-50. dont know about the stamp guides. try the library too,.......might be able to just zerox the pages you need.
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!