Unusual coin?

German stamps, coins and paper money 1919-1945.
Siegfried

Unusual coin?

Post by Siegfried »

I have a coin that I've never heard of--have showed it to several collector/dealers...they all agree it's genuine, but outside that it must be some kind of transition piece???
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of such a thing.

It is a 1940 1 Pfennig piece of the wartime pattern with the Berlin A mintmark...however, it is copper clad. It is the wartime pattern, not the prewar style like the silver RM pieces.

Any guesses?

S~
Brian67
Banned

Re: Unusual coin?

Post by Brian67 »

Siegfried wrote:I have a coin that I've never heard of--have showed it to several collector/dealers...they all agree it's genuine, but outside that it must be some kind of transition piece???
I'm wondering if anyone here has heard of such a thing.

It is a 1940 1 Pfennig piece of the wartime pattern with the Berlin A mintmark...however, it is copper clad. It is the wartime pattern, not the prewar style like the silver RM pieces.

Any guesses?

S~
Can you post a photo, please?
http://www.panzergrenadierregiment63.de.vu
http://www.3ss.totenkopf.de.vu

Die Dummheit des Menschen und das Universum sind unendlich; wobei ich mir beim Universum nicht ganz sicher bin! (Albert Einstein)
Siegfried

Post by Siegfried »

Unfortunately not, I have no scanner or camera capabilities. However it really doesn't take a photo to envision in that it is the typical zinc wartime design, only with a copper plating (not postwar) on it. I know it's 'clad' because zinc corrosion has exploded through the copper in places...other than that it would look like a copper late war coin.
The copper in color and sheen looks exactly like the pre-war copper coins. Just the design is different.
Was there a transition?

S~
mightythor99
Enthusiast

your coin

Post by mightythor99 »

more then likely, it's just something that someone played with in chemistry class or something. mints do make mistakes,...........but....pretty much, they get things right. the earlier ones were not copper plated, they were solid copper/bronze, not plated. btw, a good cleaner for very corroded zinc coins, when they are white and crusty, is lemon juice. will make them very nice again. ...............it's either vinigar, or lemon juice.............cant remember off top of my head now...........damn,.......getting old sucks.......... he he
I am interested in buying / trading for photo albums, photo groupings, diaries, feldpost groupings,etc, from any country in the world, any army/navy, etc, mostly 20th century!!