Wanted: GermanWWII Helmet Band w/string shag

WWII era German related items being sought, sold or traded.
Landserstudent
Supporter

Wanted: GermanWWII Helmet Band w/string shag

Post by Landserstudent »

Looking for German WWII issue Helmet band w/string/shag that would hang at face level to protect from insects, or used as a mask. These helmet bands were used a lot in Russia.

Thanks.

-Landserstudent
Christoph Awender
Patron

Re: Wanted: GermanWWII Helmet Band w/string shag

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

You mean these?

These were not used against insects but for face camouflage. I don´t know why you think they were used a lot in Russia or more than anywhere else?? Regarding your questions about dig outs in Russia I think such pieces of cloth won´t last that long rotting in soil.

/Christoph
Landserstudent
Supporter

Post by Landserstudent »

Thanks for the photo! This looks much more elaborate than the ones being worn in photos in the various Waffen SS reference books,and some of the in-German divisional histories. The strands hang straight in the
photos I have seen.,and the photos I've seen are all of troops in Russia, where it was very buggy.

Amazing what they find in Russia,etc. Was just wondering, as they sometimes find things in better shape than one would think. Where is the one in the photo from? Could that be a sniper's mask?

Landserstudent
Christoph Awender
Patron

Post by Christoph Awender »

Hello

Well of course these were also handcrafted.. not too difficult to cut cloth. These were mainly used by snipers to reveal the contour of the face. For a normal rifleman it would too much narrow the line of sight for combat.

/Christoph