German Relic Hunting

WWII era German related items being sought, sold or traded.
cronos

German Relic Hunting

Post by cronos »

I am interested in aquiring something from World War 2 from the Germans but, I'm not sure how to tell if something is fake or not. Some things are obvious but what should I really be looking for? For instance, I was at a flea market not too long ago and someone was selling some German stuff. He had some bullets that had the eagle and swastika stamped on the bottom. I don't know what caliber the bullets were and I also figured someone could have made thier own stamp for the bottom of the shell. Is that possible? I'm new to looking at items like this in the flesh. I've seen many authentic peices in books but not in real life. Any info would be appreciated.
Simon H
Associate

Re: German Relic Hunting

Post by Simon H »

Cronos,

German small arms ordnance did not have "eagles and swastikas" on the headstamps. However it's possible that the "bullets" you refer to are of a larger calibre than 7.92mm and therefore may have inked waffenamt markings on them (very very small eagle,swastika and 3 numbers).

I'm pleased to recommend that you look at this page on my own site at details of German headstamps, not an exhaustive list, but a representative example of what you can expect to find on the battlefields;

http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page28N.htm

As you rightly point out books are a good reference point, but you can also ask members on this forum for guidance.

Vendors with any credibility at all should be happy for you to take a photo of an item they are selling in order that you can post it here or compare it to a book source.

It's always better to ask questions before buying. If you are in any doubt, leave it.
Simon Harrold

WW2 Battlefield Relics: German Erkennungsmarken decoded.
cronos

Post by cronos »

Thanks a lot for the info. Very informative. Who knows...I may find something. I have a friend who has a Swastika armband that he aquired quite some years ago when he was a teenager in the 80's. I think an uncle had died and it made it's way to him. At the time, we were both heavily into the 3rd Riech but not in a skin-head way as the 1980's may reflect. We just really liked all the equipment and uniforms and tanks, planes...all that stuff. It was really cool for him to have that armband so early when we first started reading about the war and watching TV documentaries on the subject. A great and turbulent time in our world's history to say the least. He still has the armband. It is red with no border or ornamantation with the Swastika in the white circle. On the inside is a black stamp with an eagle and Swastika and I'm guessing the manufacturer at the bottom. A nice piece.
archmoco

Post by archmoco »

cronos wrote:I am interested in aquiring something from World War 2 from the Germans but, I'm not sure how to tell if something is fake or not. Some things are obvious but what should I really be looking for? For instance, I was at a flea market not too long ago and someone was selling some German stuff. He had some bullets that had the eagle and swastika stamped on the bottom. I don't know what caliber the bullets were and I also figured someone could have made thier own stamp for the bottom of the shell. Is that possible? I'm new to looking at items like this in the flesh. I've seen many authentic peices in books but not in real life. Any info would be appreciated.
Cronos,

My first post! I collect WW2 era inert ammo so if you need any guidance drop me a message, if I can't help i've some friends that can. As Simon says below alot of the larger cal stuff such as aircraft cannon and above rounds would have a waffen stamps. The only small arms ammo that i am aware of that have any type of 'Nazi' type marking would be Austrian 8mm & a special batch of 7.92mm rifle rounds made for the SS. I have attached some photos of the headstamps, and included the headstamp from a larger 2cm Flak round.

regards
michael
Attachments
german1.jpg
german1.jpg (131.18 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
cronos

Post by cronos »

Very nice picture. The shell on the left looks like the one I saw at the flea market. The information you provided was interesting. I did not know Australia made ammo for Germany. I must explore that stuff a little further. I don't really know too much, if anything in regards to Australia during world war 2. I'm always consumed with the war in Europe and the Third Reich. Although I have recently checked out the Pacific side for something different, I do not enjoy it as much as the European theatre.
archmoco

Post by archmoco »

cronos wrote:Very nice picture. The shell on the left looks like the one I saw at the flea market. The information you provided was interesting. I did not know Australia made ammo for Germany. I must explore that stuff a little further. I don't really know too much, if anything in regards to Australia during world war 2. I'm always consumed with the war in Europe and the Third Reich. Although I have recently checked out the Pacific side for something different, I do not enjoy it as much as the European theatre.
Cronos,

Sorry the round is from Austria (it's beside Germany)it's for the Austrian Steyr M 1895 / 30 carbine. These rounds which are waffenampt were made in 1938 at the Vienna Arsenal after annexation by the Nazis.

regards
Michael
Attachments
1895steyr_m95_open.jpg
1895steyr_m95_open.jpg (46.49 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
8x56R(2).jpg
8x56R(2).jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 3337 times
cronos

Post by cronos »

Duh! Do I feel dumb. I guess I just thought I saw Australia. Austria! I should have known better. Yes, next to Germany, I know it well. Hitler annexed that country in 1938 if I'm not mistaken. Those really look like the rounds I saw. Nice pics. Again, thanks for the info and, again, I must remember to not read so fast.