Book wanted-Trail of the Tigers.

WWII era German related items being sought, sold or traded.
michael kenny
Associate

Re: Book wanted-Trail of the Tigers.

Post by michael kenny »

I wasn't putting anyone down, just explaining that they might already have the information. Having it in a tabulated form is easier on the eye.
I doubt if Ron thought it was a way to make money. The sums involved here are quite small and as the book is no longer in production then other than a photocopy then the information would be lost. I know a lot of self-publishers and in no case was gain the object. Recognition of your efforts and maybe a bit of respect? possibly-riches no!
I seriously doubt there is anyone here who never printed off a copy of information or a photo they wanted-copyright or no copyright.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

The one thing that put me off in the past ,viewing other sites on other interests ,is that there is always some smug,arrogant idiot who is more interested in putting people down rather than using their own vast wealth of knowledge to help.
I sincerely wasn't putting anyone down or being smug. I just think that Ron made extensive use of the forums and put data on the forums that, IMHO, would be much, much more difficult to compile than his work on the Tigers. So, I have to ask myself, why did Ron copyright this one work? I have to assume he had a reason and I have to respect his unknown rationale. As Tom put it best, "He was one of us". More than that, in my dealings with him, he was totally unselfish.

Having said that, I repeat that I am willing to post answers from his booklet to questions about individual units, as that wouldn't break the copyright and I think he would have wanted us to use his work as we use any other author's work. But I fail to see how anyone could honorably photocopy the entire booklet and distribute it without the permission of his heirs. That would be disrespectful to his memory and, to me, simply despicable.

Michael is right though, in that everyone has probably played fast and loose with copyright material in the past, so I'm not trying to claim the moral high ground here. (In this hobby you almost have to cheat, as the sources are scattered and in every European language and some of the best ones went out of print in the 1950s.)

But again, Ron was one of us and deserves at least the consideration of Loyalty.

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
nomis

Post by nomis »

Apology,

What does 'one of us' actually mean?

It sounds elitist to make this statement and i would consider that disrespectful to an Auther and to those who faught and indeed fight for their country on the instructions of those who consider themselves better than the rest .

We are all equal and as far as i am concerned,should be able to freely associate with whom so ever we please.

To get back to my original, and only real point, i am still interested in obtaining a copy of this book and if there is one available for purchase i would be greatful for some assistance.

In case there are those going away for the festive period ,let me wish you all a safe and healthy time,and if you do not have family to share with, then may others watch over you and may we all have a better New Year in 2009.

SF.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Nomis, "one of us" simply means that Ron was a member of Feldgrau when he passed away. Nothing elitist about it.

As for your original point, it's being worked on. That is all we can do right now.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
nomis

Post by nomis »

Roger that and thankyou for any assistance. SF.
nomis

Post by nomis »

Seasons greatings,
Hope you're all having a good time.

Any news on the Tigers book yet? cheers.

SF.
nomis

Post by nomis »

Tom,

Is there any news on contact with Ron's family reference a source for this publication.

Sorry to keep asking,but with no idea of timescale its easy to think its at the bottom of the pile.

Regards,

Simon F.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

I'd recommend sending a PM to scoot226, as he's the one with direct contact to the family.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
nomis

Post by nomis »

Tom,

Thanks for that. I will let you know if anything comes of your suggestion,

SF.
nomis

Post by nomis »

Tom,

No response as yet?

SF.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

nomis, I'm not really part of it. I merely brought a family friend of Ron's back into the loop. I can't do anything about it, as much as I'd like to help.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
nomis

Post by nomis »

Looks like a dead duck then,

don't know why i have'nt received a response, even a negative one would be the polite thing to do!
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Well, maybe he just doesn't have a response yet.

Who knows?
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us