What German units were on the following Greek Isles?

General WWII era German military discussion that doesn't fit someplace more specific.
FK

What German units were on the following Greek Isles?

Post by FK »

Hello everybody....I'm just wondering about the nature of German occupation troops on the following Greek Islands:

1)Mykonos
2)Paros
3)Hydra

Any information whatsoever would be extremely helpful, thank you.
NicolasEll

Island of Paros

Post by NicolasEll »

Dear FK,

My grandfather, was stationed on the Island of Paros from early 1943 to at least June 1944. Unfortunately the information I have about him is very scant (he was later missing in action in Hungary; March 1945). But before being sent to Paros he was in the III./ Afr. Schützen Regiment 963 formed in the training quarters of Heuberg in January-Februrary 1943. Instead of being sent to Afrika as initially planned, this unit and other formed in Heuberg were then dispersed some of them arriving in the Greek Islands. Unfortunately I do not now whether my grandfather's unit in Paros was renamed or regrouped into another unit.
If you have more information since you first posted your message I would be very eager too.

So I have little info, but maybe this could give you a lead?

Nicolas
I am looking for any information on the Panzer-Lehrregiment (Wünsdorf, France), and the Afr. Schtz. Regiment 963 (Heuberg, Paros-Greece) in which my grandfather, Leutnant Ludwig Preller served. Thanks.
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

What is the date range for the occupation forces on these islands you are looking for? I can check the German situation maps held at NARA to see if they show units on these islands. There are 615 daily situation maps at the archives for the Southeastern Theater which includes Greece, falling under the subsection of Lage Sudost.
M.Abicht
NicolasEll

Post by NicolasEll »

Abicht wrote:What is the date range for the occupation forces on these islands you are looking for? I can check the German situation maps held at NARA to see if they show units on these islands. There are 615 daily situation maps at the archives for the Southeastern Theater which includes Greece, falling under the subsection of Lage Sudost.
Hi; the date of range would february or march 1943 to July 1944... I didn't post the first message asking about the three islands, but my grandfather was on Paros during this period so I would be interested in any information
(he was sent there with the remaining elements after the dismantling of the 999. Afrika Leichte Division)... Thanks a lot.
I am looking for any information on the Panzer-Lehrregiment (Wünsdorf, France), and the Afr. Schtz. Regiment 963 (Heuberg, Paros-Greece) in which my grandfather, Leutnant Ludwig Preller served. Thanks.
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi NicolasE11,

The lesser Greek islands were largely occupied by punishment units at this stage.

Cheers,

Sid.
panzerschreck1
Enthusiast

Post by panzerschreck1 »

Hi Sid,

Those punishment units were pretty well off then..located at such nice islands..Paros for example is beautifull as are the rest, with a lot of ancient sightseeing(considered they had to do some forced labour, it must had been a vacation considering the penal units on the Ost-front...Lol i guess the all looked like this> 8) )
"Perish any man who suspects that these men either did or suffered anything unseemly."[
NicolasEll

Re: What German units were on the following Greek Isles?

Post by NicolasEll »

This is the info I got from WAaST on the units my grandfather was assigned to during his period in Greece, mainly on Paros as far as I know:
27.07.1943 20. Kompanie/Festungs-Infanterie-Bataillon 999
lt. Meldung v. 02.10.1944 Stab V./ Festungs-Infanterie-Bataillon 999
NicolasEll

Post by NicolasEll »

Hi all,
Actually the V. /Festung Infanterie Bataillon 999, in which my grandfather was, was stationed on the island of Lemnos until the August 1944. On Paros it.was.the 1010 Festungs Infanterie Bataillon occupying the island with elements of the 1011 FIB from the 4. Kompanie who were stationed in nearby Milos them. Joining in. I have no explanation why my grandfather was in Paros October - December 1943.
Maybe he was somehow just visiting on duty...
More on this in my Blog:
http://enanosin.wordpress.com/2014/08/10/paros-island/

Nicolas
NicolasEll

Post by NicolasEll »

I also discovered this absolutely amazing series of photos of Milos and Paros in 1944, including colour shots (!!!) taken by a Grenadier with an obvious talent and expertise for photography:

http://www.panoramio.com/user/865394/tags/Milos