Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Post by Jason Pipes »

This message thread is the place to post a welcome message on the Feldgrau.net forum. Post here once you regiter to say hello and tell us a little about yourself.

Members who have been online for sometime are also encouraged to post intro messages here, we simply request that you list when you joined in your post.

Welcome to the site and we look forward to hearing from everyone! :up:
SargeBob

Hello to all and THANK YOU!

Post by SargeBob »

Hello to all and thank you for allowing me to enter your forum.

I have a few questions, but first let me say something about myself and what I am about.

I was a soldier in the Infantry for 20 yrs. I am a very novice study of history. I spent 10 yrs plus with The 101st Abn Div. w/ the 1/502d Inf,1/501st TLAT, 1/506th Inf, and the 1st abd 3d Bn.'s of the 327th Inf.

I became an US Army drill Sergeant prior to leaving service.

I am part of team that is doing a documentary on a fallen soldier that died many yrs after his return to the US. He was a member of the 82nd Airborne, "I" Co., 504th and jumped the night before the actual D-Day Invasion with the 508th pathfinder group, chalk 17 to be exact.

I do not want to offend anyone nor do I want to accuse. All I want is information on a series of events that happened between the 9th of June 1944 and April 1945.

You see the Soldier I am using as a symbol of how Veterans suffered after the war, and it is going on now with the ones returning. I just want to educate people on actual events.

I will start out simple. There was a Germany unit at St. Mere Eglise at that time. I ask, because they captured an American Paratrooper there that did some pretty significant damage before he was captured.

I would like to know if anyone knows of a possible town where they might have put him before putting him on a bus with other POWs.

In his letters he mentions "Coffin" like cages, where would I find possible photos of them.

He mentions when he was taken to Paris. He was in the cage, there were photographers and film cameras present. Would I be able to find them or the film?

I know war is a terrible and dirty business ! I do not want to hurt or accuse anyone! I know this happens in war and that decent men did some horrific stuff to each other on both sides.

The soldier I am talking about wrote many times that he wondered many times about the people he had killed and their families, he was truly sorry. He did say many time also that he thought the basic German soldier was highly professional and he respected them. One soldier to another.

There is mention of a "Large Red headed Colonel, who was SS... they were paraded through the streets for the Parisian's to view.. can any one help me..??

One last thing.. How are Veterans treated in Germany, Italy, France, I guess off the world. I have found that in the north America area, there were not treated well behind the scenes. I know that Irish Vet's do not fair well either. Is there a place where Vets are honored?

thank you for you time.. Bob"

http://www.eddiesplace.org
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Welcome to the forum Bob. Thanks for posting your welcome message! I might suggest that you should post your main questions in some of the other forums though and leave this area to just info on your background as a welcome message. That way further discussion on it can take place as this is really the thread for people to get to know one another.

Take care and thanks again for joining!
SargeBob

Thank you..

Post by SargeBob »

Any suggestion? thank you for your help
Scott Powell

Post by Scott Powell »

Hello, i'm Scott Powell and i am a member of both the GMIC and the WAF. I have an interest bordering on obsession with the Great War,particulary Imperial Germany.
I collect medals and insignia,and am always on the look out for the next Imperial Medal Bar. I tend to lurk more so than post,but look foward to discussing the Great War with you.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Welcome Scott! Thanks for joining the forum. I look forward to reading your messages and responses in your area of interest! :up:
greg

Post by greg »

hello,I am greg from China. I am working in a factory.I have known this site since 2003.Today I introduce feldgrau to a historian in China. She has just published a book about 1st Opium War,which is becoming a blockbuster.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Welcome to the site Greg! :beer:
Davide Pastore

Post by Davide Pastore »

Hello :beer: , my name is Davide Pastore.
I am a Lieutenant Colonel in Italian Air Force (as per my avatar) and I have a deep interest in military history.
I hope I can be of help here.
Davide

"Solo se la vostra visione va oltre quella del vostro maestro,
siete adatti per ricevere e tramandare la trasmissione."

(Massima Zen)
John P. Moore
Author & Moderator

Post by John P. Moore »

Welcome to Feldgrau David. I look forward to your contrubutions. My wife and I also enjoy our visits to Italy, except for driving on the Autostrada and through the many tunnels.

John
Prosper

Re: Welcome to the forum, tell us about yourself!

Post by Prosper »

Hello everybody,
In first I will beg your pardon for my poor english, it's my school english and that's far away.
I was here before under my real name: Prosper Vandenbroucke, but by a mistake of me it was impossible for me to connect me again.
Now I am back under my real christian name: Prosper
It's a real pleasure that I can read you again on this very interresting forum
Kindly regards from Belgium and see you soon
Prosper
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

We can fix your previous account, we prefer you use your original if it still exists when and where possible.
Prosper

Post by Prosper »

Hi Jason,
If it's possible for you to active my old account, you may do it.
How can I know if my old account is still activated?
Thanks for you response
Prosper
BergführerKiser
Supporter

Post by BergführerKiser »

Grüß Di' Bergkameraden,

I like the fresh new forum. I've been a member since 2005.

My area of interest is Gebirgsjägers, as well as other WWII mountain troops. I've been researching and collecting mountain troop militaria for 26 years. Some of you may know my website "Die Gebirgstruppen" (http://www.gebirgsjaeger.4mg.com). It's rather old and out dated...but hopefully that will change in the near future.

I grew up as an Air Force Brat. I have been interested in WWII since the age of 5. My mother grew up in Metz, France during the war. She was about 8 when the Americans liberated the city. Being from the Alsace-Lothringen area, the family was either German or French depending on the year. My great grandfather, Gustav Schmeisser, served in the German army during WWI and my grandfather, Walter Schmeisser, served in the French Army in WWII.

I ended up in Germany in 1981 and worked at HQ V Corps as a video producer in the old I.G. Farben building in Frankfurt am Main until 1987. Then I moved down to München to work at the HQ AAFES-Europe Public Affairs office in the old RZM building. I had a wonderful 10 years total in Germany. I loved hitting the flea markets on the weekends and finding all sorts of stuff...along with mountain climbing, hiking, biking and skiing throughout the Alps.

Currently, I'm in the Washington, DC area and try to go to the National Archives as often as I can.
Attachments
GJ_Helmet.jpg
GJ_Helmet.jpg (85.81 KiB) Viewed 22798 times
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Thanks for the info! I've always enjoyed your site as I have a main interest in mountain troops as well. I have a collection of a hundreds and hundreds of original photos, maps and documents from the 5th Mountain Division that I've been meaning to put into a book for sometime.