New requirement going forward re: user names on Feldgrau

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Gentlemen. We label folks as "hard leftist" or "hard rightists" when the fact is that 95% of us would rather not see anyone pushing their own political agendas on the forum.

I admit that I have responded harshly in the past to what I regarded as racist posts, but, the bottom line for me is that I think we would all enjoy a break from politics and a NEW EMPHASIS ON RESEARCH!!!

I, for one, will be happy to take up the chore of researching the Italian 8th Army on the Chir if it will keep me out of confrontations with a political grouping.

As Dokter Krollspell said, PK's posts on the Fallschirmjäger of the Waffen-SS were appreciated. Can't we just leave it as that???? Why do we have to fight one another's poitics--something that we can never change in a Board discussion?? A man's (or woman's) politics is a matter of personal choice, but historical facts speak for themselves.

This may sound naive, given the political nature of WWII, but, although arguments are necessarily bound to break out, why should they have a modern basis as opposed to an analytical basis of WWII??

Bestens,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Jan-Hendrik
Patron

Post by Jan-Hendrik »

I admit that I have responded harshly in the past to what I regarded as racist posts, but, the bottom line for me is that I think we would all enjoy a break from politics and a NEW EMPHASIS ON RESEARCH!!!
Thats really neccessary :wink:

Well said, dear Dave :up:

:beer:

Jan-Hendrik
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello again Paddy!

Thanks for your response. We agree on many things concerning this Forum. When it comes to "leftists" jeopardising my career I guess that could be a potential threat, even if I'm far more worried about the politically correct masses and their mainstream opinions about my interests. I suppose this goes for all countries and just not Sweden..? :?

So, to me it doesn't matter if "right is left and left is right" or vice versa... this should be dealt with in other forums more suitable for this kind of discussions.

With best regards,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Doktor Krollspell
Patron

Post by Doktor Krollspell »

Hello David and all fellow Feldgrauians!
NEW EMPHASIS ON RESEARCH!!!
Oh yes indeed! :up: What about seven days a week! :D This is a Forum with many many extremely knowledgable members that are also friendly and service-minded. I have learned a lot on my almost three years as a member and I'm looking forward to the next three years...

why should they have a modern basis as opposed to an analytical basis of WWII??
The ideological perspectives about and concerning WWII are as important as they are interesting. And as such, I think that ideological discussions on an, as David so eloquently put it, analytical basis of WWII merits it's presence here on Feldgrau.
It's the modern day contemporary discussions on an ideological basis that almost automatically goes... well, bad. Feldgrau is not the right forum for these...

Great post David! :up:

Regards to all members,

Krollspell
"Wie es eigentlich gewesen ist"
Leopold von Ranke (1795-1886)
Flieger

Post by Flieger »

sniper1shot wrote:Here in Canada we don't have a 5th amendment
"I refuse to answer on the grounds it might incriminate me".

I have read this whole post......all 6 pages of it. Some very valid points.
Regardless of what people think, there are still others out there that hold a very limited view of Germany in WWII. It is mostly from being ill informed. Call it political correctness, call it paranoid, call it what you want. Some businesses would not hire a person or would call an employee "on the mat" to explain.

Member AAA who posted up above....brings some very valid points.

Though I do not "HIDE" behind my nickname, I also DO NOT post my full name....first & last, anywhere, unless needed ie: giving a credit card online. That being said, I was paranoid (still am) about someone with better computer skills than I getting access to it.

With the job I do, I am happy just to give my first name. That is all someone on the street, who I just meet, gets.....and a handshake.
Entirely agreed. Really, I prefer my employer/future employers to have zero knowledge of my online activities. I haven't said anything online that I wouldn't say to someone in person. However, you never know what they will get upity about.
Fraulein Valkyrie

Post by Fraulein Valkyrie »

(Emphasis added:)
Paddy Keating wrote:Bravo! And the names should be verifiable. In fact, why not introduce a nominal fee system requiring payment by credit card? Five or ten bucks a year to belong. That's the price of a couple of beers. And the software would verify the registrant's details.

That will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Paddy Keating (my real name)
Paddy Keating wrote:Prosper is really my first name but I use Paddy for various reasons. I used to use Prosper and some people still call me by that name.
Prosper
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 588#104353
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Um, the only problem I have is the credit card thing. You have to have credit to have a credit card. I wonder if Jason will take a check? :roll: :roll: :roll:

By the way, I have an interest in a rubber plantation in Brazil, should anyone need the help...... :wink:

Very Best,
David, Still EviL
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Sam H.
Associate

Post by Sam H. »

So Sam H. will not be good enough?

I can see how some, in more politically acute nations, may have difficulty in being associated with even a non-political research site.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Well, I'm leaning towards not requiring full names but we will openly encourage people to provide them like many of us already do. For those that don't or can't, you won't be booted from the site but I think it's clear from the discussion that it does foester a more open and cordial environment when people use their real names.

We haven't decided 100% on the issue, but this is the way I am leaning.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Well, I'm leaning towards not requiring full names but we will openly encourage people to provide them like many of us already do. For those that don't or can't, you won't be booted from the site but I think it's clear from the discussion that it does foester a more open and cordial environment when people use their real names.

We haven't decided 100% on the issue, but this is the way I am leaning.
I think however the Veterans should be exempt from this if it is
to take effect.
Annelie

Post by Jason Pipes »

Exempt from not having to provide their name, or from providing it?

My main point is we won't require that users provide their real names in any case. We will encourage it, but not require it.
Annelie
Patron

Post by Annelie »

Alles jetzt klar.
Annelie

Post by Paddy Keating »

Do you think this jibe brings anything positive to this dicussion? Prosper is my first name. Patrick is my fourth (given) name. I have signed quite a lot of magazine articles in the past as “Paddy Keating”. A lot of people know me as “Paddy”. A lot of other people know me as “Prosper”. Whatever the case, “Fraulein Valkyrie”, all three names are mine. :D

I suppose that in your desperation to have a pop at me, you'll object to "PK" as a sign-off now. I wish you all the best in 2008 and I hope that life brings you whatever it is you need.

:D

PK
Fraulein Valkyrie wrote:(Emphasis added:)
Paddy Keating wrote:Bravo! And the names should be verifiable. In fact, why not introduce a nominal fee system requiring payment by credit card? Five or ten bucks a year to belong. That's the price of a couple of beers. And the software would verify the registrant's details.

That will separate the wheat from the chaff.

Paddy Keating (my real name)
Paddy Keating wrote:Prosper is really my first name but I use Paddy for various reasons. I used to use Prosper and some people still call me by that name.
Prosper
http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopi ... 588#104353
statemachine
Contributor

Post by statemachine »

I am certainly glad to hear this from Jason.Any personal information is dangerous in the hands of the wrong people.Younger people who wish to research the path of their ancestors might possibly have been discouraged by this requirement.
An unbreakable man
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

should have noticed this earlier...
Though I do not "HIDE" behind my nickname, I also DO NOT post my full name....first & last, anywhere, unless needed ie: giving a credit card online. That being said, I was paranoid (still am) about someone with better computer skills than I getting access to it.
paranoid, eh? :D well...

i don't really like the idea. after these years (well, one...) i am Dragunov (well, at least to you lot) and if you really care, i don't mind telling you my name (just ask Commisar D), but if i must, i will do so reluctantly because of reasons previously mentioned and because of the other 'trolls' in my life that will start the whole 'you's a Nazi' crap. people can easily jump to conclusions, and if it can happen... i know some pretty tricky people, and with mouths their size...

and hell, it all worked fine BEFORE all that rabble started... i don't think it's necessary.

:roll:

Cheers...?

Dragunov
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev