Welcome to our new site sponsor!!

Updates, changes and plans for Feldgrau.net and Feldgrau.com.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Welcome to our new site sponsor!!

Post by Jason Pipes »

Feldgrau.com is proud to announce a new partnership with Brown Reference Group based in the UK. BRG is the publisher of a brand new military history magazine, and the first issue is FREE!

The first issue of the magazine contains articles on the German breakthrough at Sedan in 1940; the deadly "88"; Gerd von Rundstedt; the 7th Panzer Division ("Rommel's Ghosts") and Blitzkrieg tactics.

You can order a copy (free save for postage) from this link:

http://www.germanwarmachine.com/magazine.htm

Please visit their site, check them out, order a copy of the new publication, and let them know you appreciate the new publication they are providing for researchers, historians and those simply interested in military history. Be sure to let them know that you heard about it here on Feldgrau!
Last edited by Jason Pipes on Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Dorosh
Supporter

Post by Michael Dorosh »

What is a "blitzkrieg tactic"? I thought the term - even in its commonly used, incorrect form - refered to operational level concepts... :)

Still, the cover has a nice picture on it.
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

This new magazine seems to be really interesting, definetely a plus for a World War II enthusiast.

Regards
TPMM
Contributor

Post by TPMM »

There's still a big need of reliable WWII magazines. That one seems to be good. Carry on!
Don't worry, be crazy ;]
Benoit Douville
Contributor

Post by Benoit Douville »

I just finish reading the magazine today and it's definetely a must for everyone interested in World War II and particularly about the German Armed Forces.

In the first issue, you can read a first-hand account from Joachim Stempel at Stalingrad, so you are able to read about the human side of the war and for those who like more the military tactics, you can read in this first issue how the German made the decisive breaktrough in 1940 with great maps. You can also read and learn about Insignia & Uniforms and in this first issue, the Panzer Uniform and the Panzer Assault Badge, really fascinating.

The articles are written by great authors and university teacher with a lot of knowledge. I also like the fact that there is no pub in the mag, definetely a plus. The only thing I can say I was disapointed is the fact that there almost nothing about the campaign in Poland of september 1939 but maybe it will be in a future issue. Speaking of future issue, on the next one they will be an article about the Eastern Front Medal, I am really looking forward to it.

Regards
Cott Tiger
Associate

Post by Cott Tiger »

Benoit Douville wrote:
The only thing I can say I was disapointed is the fact that there almost nothing about the campaign in Poland of september 1939 but maybe it will be in a future issue.
Regards
They have details of the Polish campaign on their website under "Battles and Campaigns", so I would have thought this will indeed be included in a future issue.

Regards,

Andre
Up The Tigers!
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

I hope you enjoyed my article on the 7th Panzer Division as well! Part 2 will be in the next issue, and many other unit histories will be in future issues as well.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Hi Jason

I haven't got the magazine in question, but do you make any mention about the alleged massacre of Black French soldiers by the 7th Panzer in 1940?

http://www.feldgrau.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=22234

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

The unit history overview is just that, an overview, so details at the micro level like that wouldn't generally be included in such an article. It's more along the lines of when the unit was formed, how it trained, where it moved and fought during each day/stage of the campaign, what it did from a macro level, etc.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

Jason Pipes wrote:The unit history overview is just that, an overview, so details at the micro level like that wouldn't generally be included in such an article. It's more along the lines of when the unit was formed, how it trained, where it moved and fought during each day/stage of the campaign, what it did from a macro level, etc.
Thanks for the clarification.

I haven't yet seen this mag in the US-Borders or Barnes & Noble I mean.

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

The first issue is free, you can order one from their site and subsequent issues will begin to filter into certain outlets in the world, B&N and others may get them eventually, I'm not entirely certain.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Sorry it's taken so long, but here's my review of the magazine:

Review: German War Machine Magazine Vol. 1, No. 1
Edited by Peter Darman
Website and Forum: http://www.germanwarmachine.com
E-mail: [email protected]

This is a new magazine, focusing on the German military in World War II. It is most certainly not a tool of revisionists or apologists. As a matter of fact, there is a disclaimer on the front of the magazine that states that the publishers “recognize that the Wehrmacht was guilty of committing war crimes…as was the SS itself. The magazine in no way seeks to glorify and/or whitewash this aspect of the German Army’s behavior. Instead, e offer the magazine…as a contribution to historical knowledge and understanding.”

That contribution to knowledge and understanding has certainly been met. The magazine itself is written on good quality heavy paper. Its presentation is broken up into eleven major sections. In the first issue, the “On Campaign” presentation deals with the Battle of Sedan. “Weapons and Equipment” focuses on the Flak 18. Gordon Williamson wrote both the “Uniforms and Equipment” article on Panzer uniforms and the “Awards” piece on the Panzer Assault Badge. The “Sinews of War” section had an interesting article on the logistics involved in keeping a Panzer Division moving.

The “Small Unit Actions” article dealt with a company commander at Stalingrad. Generalfeldmarschall von Rundstedt was the focus of the “Commanders” section. A discussion on Blitzkrieg was this month’s “Strategy and Tactics” topic, while “Fighting the German Army” dealt with the experiences of a Soviet infantry tank rider. Our own Jason Pipes contributed the “Unit History” article on the 7th Panzer Division. Feldgrau was also the topic for the initial “Book Review/Website Review” section.

The contributing writers should sound familiar to many of us. The consulting editor is Professor Robert M. Citino, Professor of European History at Eastern Michigan University. Two of the contributors have been mentioned above. Steve Crawford is the author of several books on differing aspects of the war, as are Chris McNab and Tim Ripley. Nik Cornish’s focus is on the Ostfront, which reflects in his books, as well as the interviewing he has done.

The magazine is well illustrated, with photographs, diagrams, and maps. Maps are presented in both 2D and 3D. I cannot say for certain that it is permanent, but the inside back cover of the magazine has a key to the maps, showing all the symbols and the color codes for the different nations.

Because it is new, we cannot expect that it will be perfect. We must expect certain “teething problems.” Our own Generalderpanzertruppen, aka Troy, pointed out on the magazine’s forum the technically improper use of the term Wehrmacht in places where Heer should have been used. He also pointed out a disconnect in the comparisons of general officer ranks, between the Heer/Waffen-SS, and the UK/US equivalents. These are things that are easily fixed, however.

There were two big points that struck me, however. One of them is that unlike many magazines, the articles aren’t split up. I personally find it very frustrating to read an article, only to find out that it is “continued on page 87,” hidden somewhere among pages of advertisements. Not here! When you start an article, it is all together, with no flipping through looking for the last few paragraphs.

I was actually surprised at the lack of advertising. I expect that there will be more as the magazine grows, as that is one of the most common ways to pay the bills. I find myself hoping, though, that the advertising can be limited to products and services relating to military history and World War II, though that may well be wishful thinking.

I wholeheartedly recommend this magazine. It is easy to read, and informative. This opinion has nothing to do with the fact that they are site sponsors for Feldgrau, but I will say that we should all be happy that our Forum is associated with this group.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

I just ordered the first issue and the free poster so I'm quite excited. Like a kid in a candy store. :D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

The magazine impressed me sufficiently to become a subscriber. I passed it around my wargaming club and several people asked for the contact info - they were impressed.

Jason - nice article on the 7th, I'm looking forward to part 2. Now if someone would just do one on one of my favorites - the 11th Panzer.
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Hi,

The site looks interesting. I want to purchase the magazine but one thing :

If you just go there and you go through the buying steps, up to Username and password bit, when you are giving out credit card details does it have a little 'lock' icon on the bottom toolbar to indicate it is secure? Otherwise my mum/dad won't even consider buying it.
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)