Air Plane Kill Marks

The Allies 1939-1945, and those fighting against Germany.

Moderator: John W. Howard

NID_2575

Air Plane Kill Marks

Post by NID_2575 »

Does anyone have a good source of information on the identification and use of Kill Marks that the US used to mark their aircraft, specifically fighter planes such as the P – 47? I am not looking so much for info on long-range bombers.

I am trying to find out what the differences are between the use of an applied Nazi flag, or the German Cross to the Hull of their aircraft. If their application together was designed to differentiate between successful air targets and ground targets, and if so which image would be used for air and which for ground, what about Naval?

I understand that each long-range bomber painted a bomb icon on their plane to commemorate a successful bombing run, but with fighter planes like the P-47, which carried a max bombing payload of 2 500 lbs bombs, I don’t think they took the time to mark each opportunity they dropped them and returned.

I was also told some US fighter pilots marked enemy train kills on their planes. Anyone have any information on that? I have not found anything to support it.

I have been having a tough time finding anything with detailed information about this topic on Google. Any info, picture links, or links to web sites are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
redcoat
Contributor

Re: Air Plane Kill Marks

Post by redcoat »

My understanding is that kill markings on USAAF aircraft were unofficial, so there was no standardisation of style or type.
Therefore the use of these symbols would vary for each squadron or fighter group
if in doubt, PANIC !!!!
NID_2575

Post by NID_2575 »

redcoat,

I realized that I was extremely rude and never thanked you for your response. It helped me out a great deal, and I greatly appreciate the direction it gave me. Being over three years old I am very embarrassed that it took me such a long time to respond to your help.

Thank you again
lwd
Enthusiast

Post by lwd »

It's my understanding that even the definition of "kill" varied somewhat. I read somewhere that destroying a plane on the ground didn't count as a kill in the Pacfic but it did for 8th AF. I'm not sure about the med. Furthermore in the navy I think the kills were associated with the plane and not the pilot as several pilots could end up flying a specific plane. Not an expert on this so if anyone can clarify or correct please do so.