uniform ID

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

ReinhardH
Supporter

uniform ID

Post by ReinhardH »

Hello … I realize this is a long shot because of the low image quality, but I'm wondering if anyone can help me figure out, based on the uniform details in the three pics, if they're more typical to Heer or WaffenSS.
Best I know, this was late winter '45 in the Saar region, this fellow (mom's brother) took part in Nordwind, and the retreat back into Germany very closely matched the route of 6th SS Nord. Unfortunately, neither he, nor anyone else in the family who would know about these pics, is around anymore.

From the open collar in the first pic, it appears this is a standard Heer Unteroffizier tunic covered by a plain winter jacket of some sort.
Can't see anything on the front of the cap, nor a breast eagle over the right upper pocket, there's no pic of the left sleeve, and from what little I know, the boots suggest this may be a Gebirgs soldier.
Any ideas? Were uniform jackets this plain commonly worn late in the war?

TIA for opinions!
Attachments
detail1.jpg
detail1.jpg (16.08 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
detail2.jpg
detail2.jpg (68.37 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
detail3.jpg
detail3.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 6131 times
Franz Repper
Supporter

Re: uniform ID

Post by Franz Repper »

Well looking at the photo I would say he is Not from the W-SS so he is not from Nord . Looking at the boots they are standard Heer low boots with gaiters . As for unit he could be in one of the Volksgrenadier units I cant remember the units that took part in nordwind but if you like I can look them up for you
Denn jedem Kämpfer gibt ein Gott den Kameraden bei
ReinhardH
Supporter

Re: uniform ID

Post by ReinhardH »

Thanks :wink: ... lol, it's been so long since I posted that I'd almost forgotten about this request. I did not know that the low boots with gaiters were standard Heer issue by then.
By all means, if you have a complete list handy (or where online I can find one) of the Volksgrenadier units at Nordwind then where they wound up by the end of the war I'd appreciate it!

Thanks again!