Nahkampfspange

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

Helmut
Patron

Nahkampfspange

Post by Helmut »

Servus,
As we know, the criteria for earning the Nahkampfspange is a certain amount of days in closecombat. What exactly constituted close combat? Was it hand to hand combat, or was it combat within small arms range? Can someone please clarify?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Helmut
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Nahkampfspange

Post by fridgeman »

As "Nahkampftage" (Close combat days) all days/actions were counted where "the soldier had the opportunity to see the white in the eye of the enemy soldier".
This was more formulation, which said you had to be in real close combat to merit the Nahkampfspange.
It did not depend on the used weapons, it was given for armed and unarmed combat too.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

OK. So that means it was up to someone's subjective opinion. Who would make the decision as to which days were considered Close Combat Days?

Thanks

Helmut
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

I can't tell exactly for the Nahkampfspange, I know for the Infanterie Sturmabzeichen (fought or defended on three different days) there were days or battles designated. If a soldier was at the front, he would receive the ISA.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Helmut
Patron

Post by Helmut »

I have read in some unit histories that certain days were credited as qualifying for the Nahkampfspange but none ever specify WHO was the determining official. :?

Helmut
Phil S

Post by Phil S »

From reading many biographies from front line german soldiers the close combat clasp seemed to be awarded more when the germans were on the defensive rather than attack. I guess this makes sense as repelling russian attackes on their dug in positions would have been close combat in the true sense of the word whereas following up offensive actions where tanks have already punched through would have been more suited to the awarding of the IAB.

Phil
charlieboy
Supporter

Post by charlieboy »

i read that the man who had the highest amount of days 84 i think? ss hauptscharfuher herman maringgele. actually won his badge in Budapest by going out on intelligence patrols,finding out enemy positions etc so he would have been in constant contact with the enemy at all times.
ps the second highest number of days major georg wenzelburgher 78 days.
source wehrmact awards.com