KVK/War Merit Cross ..how many (roughly) were awarded?

German uniforms, clothing, and awards 1919-1945.

Moderator: John W. Howard

xausa
Supporter

KVK/War Merit Cross ..how many (roughly) were awarded?

Post by xausa »

Hi there,

Could someone help me with this one?

I'm trying to find out how many of War Merit Crosses (1st and 2nd class, with and without the swords) were awarded?

Thanks for any help, X.
ghp95134
Supporter

Re: KVK/War Merit Cross ..how many (roughly) were awarded?

Post by ghp95134 »

Verleihung

Das KVK wurde mit Verleihungsurkunde in einer Schatulle oder einer Papiertüte verliehen. Es war eine Massenauszeichnung und wurde in folgender Anzahl verliehen:

Kriegsverdienstkreuz II. Klasse ca. 2.700.000 mal
Kriegsverdienstkreuz I. Klasse ca. 140.000 mal
Ritterkreuz des KVK. ca. 230mal (davon 140mal ohne Schwerter)
Das Goldene Ritterkreuz des KVK genau zweimal
nämlich 1945 an Franz Hahne (Obermeister in der Firma Rheinmetall-Altmärkische Kettenwerke) und an
Karl Saur (Hauptdienststellenleiter und Amtschef im Reichsministerium für Rüstung) (nach anderen Quellen war die Verleihung nur vorgeschlagen, konnte aber wegen des Kriegsendes nicht mehr durchgeführt werden).
Das Ritterkreuz wurde sehr sparsam verliehen, um sein Ansehen nicht zu verwässern.

source HERE
I can't find any source that breaks the numbers out by "swords" and "without swords."

Cheers!
--Guy
ghp95134
Supporter

Post by ghp95134 »

Hey! I just found a breakdown at HERE

KVK I w/Swords: 483.603
KVK I w/o Swords: 91.239
KVK II w/Swords: 6.134.950
KVK II w/o Swords: 1.591.567

Wow! ... totally different totals!!
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a complement.....................................

Orden des Kriegsverdienstkreuzes.

Order of the War Merit Cross.
Established by decree of October 18th.

By decree of October 18, 1939, the Fuhrer established the Order of the War Merit Cross for services in the war that was forced upon us that could not be recognized by the Iron Cross, which was awarded in two classes, bronze and silver.

The decree of the Führer has the following wording: As a sign of recognition of merits in the war that was forced on us that cannot be recognized by the Iron Cross, I donate the Order of the War Merit Cross.
Article 1.
- The War Merit Cross is awarded in the following grading: War Merit Cross II. Class, War Merit Cross I. Class. The award is given either with swords or without swords.
Article 2.
1. The emblem of the order is an eight-pointed cross bearing a circular central shield with a swastika and an oak leaf border. 2. The reverse of the middle shield of the second class bears the year 1939. 3. The second class of the War Merit Cross is bronze, the first class is silver.
. Article 3.
The War Merit Cross is awarded a) with swords for special merits when used under enemy weapon action or for special merits in military warfare, b) without swords for special merits in carrying out other war tasks where there was no use under enemy weapon action.
Article 4.
The awarding of the Iron Cross (1939) or the Iron Cross Clasp of the World War excludes the awarding of the corresponding class of the War Merit Cross. If the Iron Cross or the Iron Cross of the World War is awarded after the War Merit Cross has been awarded, the corresponding class of the War Merit Cross must be taken
Article 5.
1. The second class of the War Merit Cross is worn on the ribbon on the medal bar or in the second buttonhole of the tunic. The band has a black central stripe and a white and red stripe on each side. 2. The first class of the War Merit Cross is worn without a ribbon on the left side of the breast.
Article 6.
The borrower receives a deed of ownership
Article 7.
The War Merit Cross remains after the death of the entrusted as a memento of the surviving, remaining.
Article 8.
I instruct the chief of the Wehrmacht High Command and the Reich Minister of the Interior to carry out the regulation in conjunction with the Minister of State and head of the Presidential Chancellery of the Führer and Reich Chancellor.

Source: https://www.bibliotekacyfrowa.pl/Conten ... 70_126.pdf

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
image063.jpg
image063.jpg (133.24 KiB) Viewed 30011 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D; a complement.....................................

Orden des Kriegsverdienstkreuzes.

On August 19, 1940, the Knight's Cross to the War Merit Cross (Ritterkreuz des Kriegsverdienstkreuzes) was introduced. Additionally, on July 8, 1944, the Golden War Merit Cross was finally introduced.

Sources: https://reibert.info/threads/brandenbur ... 01/page-20
https://www.tracesofwar.com/persons/450 ... ichard.htm

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
Lt. Richard Volkmann, awarded on 12 August 1944 with the Knight's Cross of the Cross of War Merit with swords (there were only about 73 decorations with swords) as Oberwachtmeister in the Nachrichten-Fernaufklärungs-Kompanie 623 - Division „Brandenburg “...........
Lt. Richard Volkmann, awarded on 12 August 1944 with the Knight's Cross of the Cross of War Merit with swords (there were only about 73 decorations with swords) as Oberwachtmeister in the Nachrichten-Fernaufklärungs-Kompanie 623 - Division „Brandenburg “...........
image444.jpg (21.34 KiB) Viewed 24491 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.