Iraq: where to look for quality info?

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Stefan
Banned

Iraq: where to look for quality info?

Post by Stefan »

Well, with regard to the actual military situation on the ground, is there any objective website where you can see a detailed and updated map on the dislocation of both the Anglo-Saxon and Iraqi troops, possibly with tactical unit symbols and all this? I really miss something like that when I see all these ridiculous charts in the TV...
Somosierra
Supporter
Location: POLAND - The Land of Virtue and Valor: "Peior est bello timor ipse belli!"

Post by Somosierra »

During the war there is no chance to know what is really going on…

Regards.
APOCALYPSIS IOANNIS 21, 8:
--
Timidis autem et incredulis et exsecratis et homicidis et fornicatoribus et veneficis et idololatris et omnibus mendacibus, pars illorum erit in stagno ardenti igne et sulphure, quod est mors secunda.
D.W.
Enthusiast

Re: Iraq: where to look for quality info?

Post by D.W. »

Stefan wrote:Well, with regard to the actual military situation on the ground, is there any objective website where you can see a detailed and updated map on the dislocation of both the Anglo-Saxon and Iraqi troops, possibly with tactical unit symbols and all this? I really miss something like that when I see all these ridiculous charts in the TV...
You best bet would be an urgent appeal to Herr Schoeder to reverse his cowardly position and allow the forces of Germany to take part in the liberation of Iraq.

The U.S. military would welcome the support. And you could have a first hand look at all the colorful unit patches worn by British and American soldiers! :D
Commissar D, the Evil

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi D.W., now that wasn't fair!
If a member of the Forum, no matter his political views, asks for a site giving accurate Military info, how can any of us treat his request with disdain?

Best Regards, David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

Aw, it's just a little sarcasm. Besides, who better to be sarcastic with than my dear old friend Stefan!
Ciaran Byrne
Supporter

Post by Ciaran Byrne »

Hey D.W. Mistaken any Tornados for SCUDS lately?...sorry just a bit of sarcasm...I'm sure you will understand.

Touche

:wink: :wink: :wink:
Guillermo
Contributor

Re: Iraq: where to look for quality info?

Post by Guillermo »

Stefan wrote:Well, with regard to the actual military situation on the ground, is there any objective website where you can see a detailed and updated map on the dislocation of both the Anglo-Saxon and Iraqi troops, possibly with tactical unit symbols and all this? I really miss something like that when I see all these ridiculous charts in the TV...
I've heard Saddam is interested too.

Guillermo
D.W.
Enthusiast

Post by D.W. »

Ciaran Byrne wrote:Hey D.W. Mistaken any Tornados for SCUDS lately?...sorry just a bit of sarcasm...I'm sure you will understand.

Touche

:wink: :wink: :wink:
It was most unfortunate that two men died in this tragic accident.

I really don't find that worth joking about.

No sarcasm this time.

Disregards,
D.W.
MCO

FROGs not SCUDs

Post by MCO »

The weapons used have been Free Rockets Over Ground (FROGs) not SCUDs.
Kimmo
Supporter

Post by Kimmo »

I take information where ever I can get. From US sources, from England, Russia, France and even that al-jazeera, or how do you write that?

Then I just simply reduce half from that information. Like if the US sources say that we have made remarkable advance, that means that we have advanced moderately.

If the al-jazeera or Iraq officials say that they are ready to fight for Bagdad and are sure that they will win in the end. Then that means that we still are sure that we can inflict losses to Americans, but we are not really sure how long can we hold.

It's the same propaganda in every war.
~ One should always be in love. That is the reason one should never marry ~
Oscar Wilde
heinz kling

Stefan, you must read the reports with a grain of salt

Post by heinz kling »

Since we have next to no access to Arab sources, what we are getting daily from the Pentagon and the jingoistic press are half truths and pure propaganda. To quote some examples :

1. The fabled shock and awe strategic bombing strategy as espoused by half baked strategists like Rumsfeld and Myers is supposed to knock out the Iraqi regime without a fight, and from afar. Has this happened, has the leadership been so demoralised by the coalition's military supremacy that they cry uncle after the first bombs dropped? NO.

2. The expected uprising of the Shiites in the South against the regime once the coalition forces appeared on the battlefield has not happened. The so called popular uprising in Basra, as reported by the Brits, is pure crap and wishful thinking. The people are actually fighting the invaders, not applauding them.

3. The so called psychological warfare that is supposed to prime the individual commanders to surrender their forces is just fiction. The commander of the 51. Division who surrendered turns out to be a lowly Leutnant. Pathetic isn't it?

4. The thousands of Iraqi POWs are nowhere to be seen. In some pictures what you see are cowed civilians. May be they count in all the women and children too.

5. Whilst boasting about enormous Iraqi casaulties, the coalition has kept mum over its own, except when the killed and captured are paraded on Iraqi TV.

6. The fact that the coalition bypasses the cities while dashing to the North may be actually that they are afraid to take casaulties in street fighting, and we all know that a bombed out city is of immense advantage to the defenders, so the sparing of the cities may actually be made from a military, rather than humanitarian, viewpoint.
Stefan
Banned

Post by Stefan »

Your best bet would be an urgent appeal to Herr Schröder to reverse his cowardly position and allow the forces of Germany to take part in the liberation of Iraq.
You know, DW, actually we were considering that course of action, but then again, we didn't want to support a regime like that of Saddam Hussein. So, for the time being, we will concentrate on getting rid of the American troops stationed here and let the liberation of Iraq to the Iraqis. Just a little sarcasm, you understand. :D
Jason Petho
Supporter

Hello

Post by Jason Petho »

If you guys are interested, I can email you a jpg of a map I produced which gives my interpretation of the ground situation effective yesterday.

The file is about 700kb and 60% of original size.

It lists the US/UK forces by Brigade and the Iraqi forces by Division.

Drop me a line at [email protected] if you are interested.

This map is part of a series I'm currently producing.

Hope that helps
Take care and good luck
Jason Petho
Petho Cartography
http://www.pethocarto.com

Mapping Military History

Check out the Portfolio!
Grant Stephensen

Post by Grant Stephensen »

You could try http://www.globalsecurity.org. It has a Order of Battle plus it has all the news[/url]