Reenactment in Malaysia!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dobb

Reenactment in Malaysia!

Post by Dobb »

Greetings fellow enthusiasts and historians!

This is prolly my first thread here on Feldgrau.net,I went through most of the topics here but I kept forgetting on joining,bad me! :oops:

Anywho,I'm trying to go into reenactment for a while now,I have ample time and money for it,since I can work and study at the same time as well as having some good time after school and weekends free.

So my question is:

Can anyone suggest me which unit to form?I cannot decide which unit to portray in Malaysia,and prolly like Alvin over there in Singapore with his 352nd Infanterie.So does anyone have any idea?I'm just trying to gather more information before going to it,I would prefer the Heer over Waffen SS,though the 12th SS Panzer Division HitlerJugend do sound tempting,can anyone help verify which unit is "available" and interesting to portray?

Speaking of which,does anyone know any shop that sells reproduction items in South East Asia?Japan seems abit too far,I don't mind Hong Kong,Taiwan or China though I heard their quality is totally FUBAR.

Sidenote:
Can anyone tell me the beginning steps?I know some but I just want a checklist of it.

Tschuess! :D
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Tschuess (actually Tschüß)?!? Who was that masked man?
Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

DON"T DO 12SS!!! I know i'll be hit for saying this, but they killed Canadian POWs!

you might want to gather a bunch of member peoples who are genuinely interested (not just neo nazis) and are willing to spend $$$.

nice to know that there is interest in Malaysia/Singapore, i come from there 8)
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Dobb

Post by Dobb »

Haha,good to know that you came from there,are you by any chance from Kuala Lumpur?

From my research,what do you guys think of the 716th Infanterie Division? Anyone care to tell me about the unit?And it's tactics too? :D
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Dragunov, you're from Malaysia??

Panzermahn
Dobb

Post by Dobb »

Hey Panzermahn,you're a Malaysian too?Where are you residing?Got MSN or Yahoo Messenger? :D
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

How about 16th Motorised Division? Its reconnaissance battalion was the German unit that advanced furthest east and so presumably got closest to Malaya.

What is more, it was the only German division to be promoted through all the steps from infantry division to panzer division. In 1939 it was 16th Infantry Division. In 1940-42 it was 16th Motorised Infantry Division. By 1943 it was 16th Panzer Grenadier Division and in 1944 it became 116th Panzer Division.

Cheers,

Sid.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

sid guttridge wrote:Hi Guys,

How about 16th Motorised Division? Its reconnaissance battalion was the German unit that advanced furthest east and so presumably got closest to Malaya.

What is more, it was the only German division to be promoted through all the steps from infantry division to panzer division. In 1939 it was 16th Infantry Division. In 1940-42 it was 16th Motorised Infantry Division. By 1943 it was 16th Panzer Grenadier Division and in 1944 it became 116th Panzer Division.

Cheers,

Sid.
Sid,

that's a great idea!!! :D :D :D

Was it the recon unit that reaches Astrakhan?

But I would say that the closest German unit to Malaya was actually the Kriegsmarine Monsoon Flotilla (Wilhelm Dommes and his men) that were based at Penang from 1943 to early 1945 before they were moved to Singapore and then finally Jakarta...

Maybe Dobb would like to re-enact Kriegsmarine units?
Hey Panzermahn,you're a Malaysian too?Where are you residing?Got MSN or Yahoo Messenger?
Yup, a Malaysian and currently living in a beautiful island of the west coast of Malaysia. :up:
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

beautiful island of the west coast of Malaysia. thumbsup
Penang, by any chance? My mum's from there. born here though.
Dobb

Post by Dobb »

Hehe,Penang,I got someone special there. :up:

Kriegsmarine portrayal...quite hard I think...and I don't seem to much about Naval Warfare well. :[]

Anywho,any other comments about the 716th?

I know it's something of a lousy battalion but it seems quite interesting,Pas De Callais,Juno,Sword,Omaha even,Pegasus Bridge and I heard some units that routed from the beaches were dragged up and use in the attack of Mortain.

If there's no objection or anything,I'll start my unit as the Static 716th....
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Dragunov wrote:
beautiful island of the west coast of Malaysia. thumbsup
Penang, by any chance? My mum's from there. born here though.
Yup, I am staying at Penang though I am not a local...I am from a neighbouring state n_n

Your mum is a Chinese?

Panzermahn
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

ancestry Chinese. born in Canada. going back to S'pore and Peneng this summer.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Dragunov,

do you want to have a meet in Penang when you're back?

Panzermahn
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

nah, i'll probably be busy.
Deathbat0921

Re: Reenactment in Malaysia!

Post by Deathbat0921 »

Is this page still active? Its hard to find ppl who shared the same common intrest about ww2