Irving Gets Out

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

Post by Dragunov »

uggh.... i hate holocaust deniers.
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Whatever one thinks about Irving, locking people up for expressing opinions sets a dangerous precedent. After all, we live in a confederation of democracies here in Europe, don't we?

I gather that the Germans now want to lock people up for committing violent acts upon humanlike figures in video games. It would be funny were it not so alarming that we find ourselves ruled by such people in Europe today.

PK
Paulus II
Patron

Post by Paulus II »

uggh.... i hate holocaust deniers.
So do I but that doesn't mean people should be locked up under the pretense of "Law" for expressing their beliefs. It sets an ugly precedent. Who's next: deniers of the legality of the Irak War, Global Warming, Darwin's Theory, Genocide of the Armenians, the EU????

Cheers,

Paul
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Who's next: deniers of the legality of the Irak War, Global Warming, Darwin's Theory, Genocide of the Armenians, the EU????
....who really perpetrated 9/11? :D
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Walking your dog in the middle of the night through a lake during a Thunderstorm while wearing snorkeling gear? :shock:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

Paul.
If i express opinion in newspaper that You are thief, an you kill my neighbour, or i express "opinion" that your wife or girlfriend proposed sex for ten bucks you will say: That's your opinion, you are free to write book about that.?

Don't take it personaly, those are not my real opinions, just question.
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

Pirx, I might sue you for libel if you wrote those things, but you would not be put in prison for it. Is it that hard to understand? What happened to Europe being democratic. The fact that there are supposed free thinkers on this board that SUPPORT these fascist laws, just astounds me. Locking up deniers, who are "thought criminals," is undemocratic. I can't believe they actually have laws like this in Europe. It's disgusting. Fighting fascism wih fascism, how wonderful. I'm glad Irving is out, now they need to free Zundel and Rudolf! Orwell must be laughing.
Last edited by krichter33 on Thu Dec 21, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Klaus Richter
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Pirx I don't see what your question has to do with locking a man up. Nobody deserves to be locked up for a opinion. If that were the case I should be in a prison for all the people I think should personally go jump off the nearest cliff. Present company excluded. :wink:
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
krichter33
Enthusiast

Post by krichter33 »

I think those in authority in these European countries need to take a second look at the UN Human Rights Declaration.

"Article 19.
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."
Klaus Richter
Hans
Associate

Post by Hans »

Klaus,

Words my friend, mere words. Don't mean a thing, never have, never will.

- Hans
Was haben wir für dich gewollt
Du deutsches Vaterland?
- H Gehr IR 21./17.ID
Rand
Supporter

Post by Rand »

I'm sure Irving was upset that he missed the Holocaust denial conference in Iran.... Maybe next year.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

No, it won't be in Iran next year, that slot on the conference circuit will be taken up with one on "the Peaceful uses of Nuclear Power"!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Paddy Keating

Post by Paddy Keating »

Rajin Cajun wrote:Walking your dog in the middle of the night through a lake during a Thunderstorm while wearing snorkeling gear? :shock:
You're a very bad man...and I look forward to sinking some beers with you.

P
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

If they are holding it there where are they holding the "Jihadist Fanaticism and Coca-Cola: A Deadly Combination" Seminar? Perhaps they will try something comfy like Bonn? :D

PS. I look forward to it as well Paddy. We definitely need a Feldgrau Convention. :beer:
Pirx
Associate

Post by Pirx »

krichter33 wrote:"Article 19.
Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."
Countries members of UN Human Rights Commision:
Saudi Ariabia, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Bhutan, Brasil, Burkina Faso, China, Dominikana, Egipt, Equador, Erytrea, Etiopia, Finland, France, Gabon, Guatemala, Gwinea, Holand, Honduras, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Japan, Quatar, Canada, Kenia, Kongo, South Korea, Kostarika, Cuba, Malesia, Mauretania, Mexico, Nepal, Nigeria, Germany, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Russia, South Africa, Romania, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Swaziland, Togo, Ukraina, Hungary, Italy, UK, USA and Zimbabwe

How many members of this commision respects Human Rights?

LoL
amicus Plato, sed magis amica veritas