The unofficial ww2 random facts thread

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Dragunov
Associate
Location: Ottawa, The True North Strong And Free (and rather cold)

The unofficial ww2 random facts thread

Post by Dragunov »

why not have a thread where we can all post random but interesting facts 'bout ww2? i'll try to kick it off but am sorta brain-dead now.

Hitler stomped his foot when he was happy, and the Brits turned this into a stupid dance by repeating the film

Stalin liked cowboy movies

well, that's all i can come up with. for now......
When Stalin says "Dance" a wise man dances.- Nikita Kruschev
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Hi Dragunov,

Good idea....Here are some;

a) German Field Marshal Gerd von Rundstedt likes to read Western cowboys and detctive stories behind his working desk

b) Corporal Hitler actually were involved in a fistfight with another German soldier just after the end of WW1. He actually won it!

c) General Patton urinates into the river Rhine and was photographed doing it.

Regards
Panzermahn
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

the lee-enfield jungle carbine had a recoil so bad that the sights had to ba reset after ~30 rounds (the infamous 'wandering zero')

the cost of one Tiger could buy 4 panzer mark 4s.

the StG-44 was NOT the first assault rifle

Hitler was sent a copy of 'the great dictator' by Charlie Chaplin and was said to have watched it.
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

a) The famous radio speech "we shall fight them at the beaches" by Winston Churchill is actually performed by another voice-actor in BBC

b) Himmler actually had his eye on Heydrich's wife

c) Adolf Galland had a cigar holder fixed into the cockpit of his Me-109 which is the only in the entire Luftwaffe forces.

regards
Panzermahn
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Pm, that has yet to be proven LOL the BBC won't confirm which were voiced by actors and which by Churchill! There's one of TWO things certain about that speech - WC either DIDN'T make it...or was drunk making it!

Churchill's breakfast, as recorded by Sir John Dill - 5 am; an entire steak-and-kidney pudding, a bar of chocolate (dark) and a tumbler of brandy....all at the same time!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz »

A German submarine was sunk in May 1945 when its toilet malfunctioned and flooded the vessel causing the crew to abandon ship.
Rajin Cajun
Banned

Post by Rajin Cajun »

Toilets on U-Boats? :?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

A German submarine was sunk in May 1945 when its toilet malfunctioned and flooded the vessel causing the crew to abandon ship.
hilarious to me, but it would REALLY suck to be on that sub. ouch.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

Rajin Cajun wrote:Toilets on U-Boats? :?
RC! C'mon, you didn't think they went for months without hitting head? Or, they only pooped when they could surface? :shock:

Talk about pain!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!
Dragunov
Associate

Post by Dragunov »

well, submariners smell bad enough already without showers, so they must have put toilets in so that they didn't lose their sense of smell/commit suicide
Potsdamerplatz

Post by Potsdamerplatz »

Here's a new strange fact:

When military action was proposed against Germany during the Munich crisis of September 1938, a British member of parliament objected to it strongly for the bizarre reason that he was worried Germany could claim compensation against the British government for the bombing of its factories in the Ruhr.
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Not new....the BRITISH per taxpaying head are STILL paying the French £5 per year per person for the damage the RAF did to French harbours and ports!!!
"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle." - Malcolm Reynolds
cobra6

Post by cobra6 »

Rajin Cajun wrote:Toilets on U-Boats? :?
Yup on the IX Type located in the bow torpedo room right side when entering.

And one near the officers quaters (Also Type VII)

Cobra 6
panzermahn
Associate

Post by panzermahn »

Field Marshal Manstein is admittedly privately that he is a part Jew

Winston Churchill was booed by some of the residents in London when he went to tour around the bombed areas of London in 1940

During the Japanese 2nd wave attack at Pearl Harbor in 1941, a youth took out his hunting rifle and shot at one of the Japanese fighter-bombers. It exploded.

Kazuo Sakamaki was the first Japanese POW in USA when he was captured after the failure of the mini-submarine attack at Pearl Harbor
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Post by Tom Houlihan »

panzermahn wrote:During the Japanese 2nd wave attack at Pearl Harbor in 1941, a youth took out his hunting rifle and shot at one of the Japanese fighter-bombers. It exploded.
Okay, I'll accept a lot of things, since reality is often stranger than fiction. This one, however, I need proof on! :shock: I wanna see sources! It's hard enough to take one down with an A.A. MG, much less one shot from a hunting rifle! And having been stationed there, I know there ain't no olliphants in Hawaii, so we ain't talking a big-bore gun!
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!