Reminder about Holocaust and War Crimes Discussions!!!!

Fiction, movies, alternate history, humor, and other non-research topics related to WWII.

Moderator: Commissar D, the Evil

Commissar D, the Evil

Reminder about Holocaust and War Crimes Discussions!!!!

Post by Commissar D, the Evil »

Hi Guys, a lot of you don't know this, but Feldgrau has a specific policy against allowing discussions of the Holocaust. Before the Board moved to this new format (Yeah, I know, a lot of you never even saw the old format! :D ) there used to be an instruction on the Board itself forbidding discussions of the Holocaust.

That makes threads like the "David Irving" Thread questionable, to say the least, but my primary concern is not what has already been posted, but what could be posted in the future.

As for the tricky issue of war crimes, Feldgrau's policy is that discussions of war crimes, ala "xyz unit did xyz thing at xyz place and date" is fine (in the proper forum) as long as it remains TOTALLY neutral and unbiased either for or against it. Ours is not a place to judge, condem or defend but to simply study and hope to understand. Nothing wrong with trying to get a full picture of, say, the 2nd SS, but to go off on a rant "for" or "against" the division is just totally out of line in a place dedicated to research (and not polemics).

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

Very Best Regards,
David
Death is lighter than a Feather, Duty is heavier than a Mountain....
Commissar D, the Evil

Hi T.S., Feldgrau has been around since 1996, I'd say we've done a damn fine job exploring German military history without creating such a section.

"IF THE ARMY WANTED YOU TO HAVE A WIFE. THEY WOULD HAVE ISSUED YOU ONE."

Consider Feldgrau to be the Army..... :D

Best Regards,
David
Commissar D, the Evil

:D :D :D

Unfortunately TS, our general has never seen fit to issue us moderator types wives--or even guns for that matter.

Best,
David
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

Can I get an issue wife or is just this a perk for moderators?

Are they Russian? I would pay for high quality shipping myself of course....

Dont want them to get hurt.
Mmm, marriage eh? Methinks that TS has been pulling the wool over our eyes....

Surely 13 year-olds can't get married, even in Florida? :D :shock: :D
Regards

Howard
Howard
Associate

Post by Howard »

And who said I can't get married? I garuntee theat with Floridas proximity to south America I can!!!
lol :up:
Regards

Howard
phylo_roadking
Patron

Post by phylo_roadking »

Russian wives? Nah, no thanks, don't have any tractors need fixing or dams need building.

phylo
Alex Coles
Associate

Post by Alex Coles »

Well you don't really need to have good P&P for your girl, just a royal bed with comfy quilts and an excellent quality mattress all in a cardboard box saying "To : Timbuktu" :D :shock:
Alex

(Also known as 17 SS)
haen2
WWII Vet

holocaust

Post by haen2 »

There is no need for yet another "holocaust" section on a forum on the web. There are plenty of them to go around as it is, and going on 'ad absurdum" with people on either side digging in and taking pot shots at one another.
Just my point of view.
HN
joined forum early spring of 2002 as Haen- posts: legio :-)

Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think !
Laurent Daniel
Enthusiast

Re: holocaust

Post by Laurent Daniel »

Hi Haen,
haen2 wrote:There is no need for yet another "holocaust" section on a forum on the web. There are plenty of them to go around as it is, and going on 'ad absurdum" with people on either side digging in and taking pot shots at one another.
Just my point of view.
HN
:up:
Thanks
Regards
Daniel Laurent
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

but the war crimes discussions, even though many people have done it before, is it ok if for example, some strange guy comes in, says the Germans are the worst people in the world, etc, and then other members or me reply that that is false since the Soviets also did war crimes, etc, and have a debate on that? I think that this might be on the border line, since this has continusasly popped up on some heated threads, and then sooner or later those threads were locked. thanks

Kevin
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Objective questions and posts regardin specific cases involving specific units with historical references, etc, are fine to be discussed as they too are a part of a units history. But discussion in general regarding the Holocaust is off topic. And any discussion that gets in any way heated, personal or political remotely on the subject is removed. This is simply not the place for that sort of stuff, sorry.
Helmut Von Moltke

Post by Helmut Von Moltke »

for example, is it ok to start a thread about alleged atrocities against wounded German soldiers in the Crimea in late 1941, from the diary of Admiral Canaris or something like that, etc?
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi Guys,

I agree. This is a military history forum and all that is needed is what we already have - formal acknowledgement of the enormity of the so-called Holocaust. It can be debated elsewhere.

However, we do have an anomally. While we can't discuss in detail the mass murder of some six million Jews and numerous others, or point the finger at those culpable, we apparently can repeatedly point the finger at Jews for some comparitively minor post war compensation claims and other attempts to get retrospective justice.

This seems more than a little unballanced. I hope the moderators have now taken note of this problem. At least it has died down as a live issue for the moment.

Cheers,

Sid.
Andy H
Associate

Post by Andy H »

I can understand the stance on the Holocaust but I'm a bit unsure as to the warcrimes angle.

The fact that warcimes were commited by the 'normal' miltary unit(s) is not in doubt, yet though we are allowed to discuss there OoB, ToE, offensive or defensive battles and various commanders, we have to leave out this less than honourable facet of there history. That to me would seem like gilding the lilly.

For example I'm trying to find out about the massacre of a African Pioneer Company after the surrender of Tobruk. Now the African campaign is often viewed as being 'clean' and fought with military honour, ideals/civility to the fore. Would it be wrong to post a thread asking for information on this possible warcrime?

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
sid guttridge
on "time out"

Post by sid guttridge »

Hi CY,

My understanding is that it is only the Holocaust that is out of bounds.

The subject you are raising is similar to many others that have been discussed on threads here and is presumably within bounds. We have had our Oradour threads, our Katyn threads, we have had Maltese civilians beating the brains out of downed Italian airmen, German prisoners dying in British captivity after the end of the war, etc., etc.

Who were these guys? A Cape Coloured pioneer unit from the South African division at Second Tobruk? (Don't answer here, use a new thread.)

Cheers,

Sid.