Hello to all
; something more.......................
Military operations in southern Poland.
The National Defense Battalion "Rzeszów".
The National Defense Battalion "Rzeszów" was one of eight battalions of the Subcarpathian National Defense Brigade in Przemyśl. In the summer of 1939, it was placed at the disposal of the commander of the 2nd Regiment of the KOP "Karpaty", who held the position "Slovakia". It participated in hostilities as part of the 3rd Mountain Brigade.
The Battalion Commander was Major Tadeusz Ochęduszko. The various companies were commanded by: 1st ("Rzeszów"), Lieutenant Marian Pobożniak, 2nd ("Łańcut"), Captain Stanisław Kwak, 3rd ("Leżajsk"), Captain Stanisław Saniński. The battalion also included a heavy machine gun platoon and a battalion command unit (adjutant, medic, patrols: sanitary, communications, engineers, non-commissioned officers, and quartermaster). Total battalion strength was 3 senior officers, 13 reserves, and 396 enlisted men, including 45 pre-recruitment volunteers. The armament consisted of French weapons: 2 heavy machine guns Hotchkiss wz. 14, 27 light machine guns Chauchat wz. 15 and kb Berthier wz. 16. Machine guns were not received until August 25, so the soldiers were trained while traveling by rail to defensive positions and already in their positions. However, uniforms and equipment were incomplete, blankets, bandages, sanitary equipment and helmets were completely missing.
On August 27, 1939, at 3:00 p.m. Major T. Ochęduszko received a dispatch from the Commander of OK No. X Przemyśl, Brig. Gen. Wacław Wieczorkiewicz, on getting the battalion into combat readiness. All its subunits mobilized for 8:00 p.m. on the same day. Despite a series of difficulties, on August 28, 1939, at 7:00 a.m. the battalion was embarked for rail transport and at 1330 hours it arrived at Iwonicz station. Then, after unloading, lunch and rest, he marched to the city of Iwla (10:00 p.m.) and subordinated to the Commander of the 2nd Regiment KOP "Karpaty", Lieutenant Colonel Janowi Zachodnemu as a reserve. Immediately, even before midnight, the battalion was ordered to move to the town of Myscowo (about 6 km from Iwla) and carry out fortification works in the Krępno section. The next morning, separate groups, that is, those who did not participate in the training, began the fortification work.
On August 31, the excavation of firing positions continued and training was given in the handling of machine guns and sanitary patrols. At that time, the strength of the battalion decreased as the 1st Platoon, left for the ON Battalion "Krosno" to occupy the hill 610 - "Ropianka". That day, in the morning, Major Ochęduszko left for Krosno, where he reported the status of the battalion to Colonel Jan Stefan Kotowicz, Commander of the ON Subcarpathian Brigade (renamed 3rd Mountain Brigade, BG). In addition, the Commander of the 2nd KOP Regiment "Karpaty" took over the defensive section "Iwonicz". The battalion had only 1/2 fire units, the rest being given to a separate platoon.
Sources: Batalion Obrony Narodowej „Rzeszów”. Krzysztof A. Tochman. Dodatek historyczny Instytutu Pamięci Narodowej. Oddział w Rzeszowie.
Cheers. Raúl M
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.