WWII German Operational Map Cdroms now available!

German campaigns and battles 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jason Pipes
Patron

WWII German Operational Map Cdroms now available!

Post by Jason Pipes »

Thanks to the hard work and dedication of fellow forum member and contributor Matt Abicht Feldgrau is now proud to offer for sale an extensive line of WWII operational maps in large scale digital format. When complete this line of WWII German operational maps will include over 5000 seperate maps and will be one of the most extensive and far reaching primary research tools available to the those interested in WWII. Those map sets currently available are listed on the following web page:

WWII German Operational Map Cdroms

As new map sets become available we will make annoucements here, on the rest of the forum, and in the What's New section of the main site to let you know!
Frederick L Clemens
Associate

Post by Frederick L Clemens »

That's pretty exciting Jason - should be a resource that lots of people jump on, including me.

If I may make a suggestion - how about a couple of sample map selections or a bit more detail on what the maps show. For instance, when you say operational - how far down do the units go? Divisional, maybe? Are the maps topographical? Do they cover a time span or are they generally situation maps for a specific day?

Also, are these the same type of maps that Madej used as cover pages on his 8 1/2x11 softcover books about 20 years ago? If so, that will be great.

I know that writing more detailed descriptions takes more time, but I think it will pay off in avoiding repeat questions like mine.
Jason Pipes
Patron

Post by Jason Pipes »

Your questions are good ones for sure! Thanks for asking. The maps are all generally very detailed and include both topo detail as well as unit location and movement detail down to the battalion level, and most certainly the regiment/brigade/division level. On one sample map for pre-war 1938 unit locations the detail covers every single battalions and their location for all of Germany. Each map is huge being 20-30 megs or more in size since they are being scanned at 600dpi each meaning the detail available will be very great.

I will confirm with Matt which dates each map cover and do my best to list those dates in each map section. I agree it will be more helpful with that info!
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

All the maps are based on German printed Topos. The maps scales are usually 1:1,000,000 but go down to 1:300,000. For example, the Eastern Front maps are almost always in two parts, (two scans) a north half and a south half. The Germans did a morning -"furth" (early) -map showing large scale movements and thrusts and some units, and an evening -"abends map showing final unit dispositions of German, Romanian, Italian, Hungarian, Finn, ect as well as Soviet down to Division.

As the war went on they began to only make the abends map showing both movements and units. NARA is only missing maps for the East for a total of 23 days of the entire campaign. Also some days they also have only either the morning of evening maps.

When you order the East maps they will right now be coming by months. So you CD will show as an example 1Jan43 M pt1, 1Jan43 M pt2, 1Jan43 A pt1, and 1Jan43 A pt2. Meaning date- M(movements) or A(abends) and part 1(north) or part 2 (south).

On some maps also are handwritten notes on weather, build-up of Soviet forces in rear areas, aerial recon data (like outside Stalingrad in Jan 43 indicating no break out attempts), German civil areas, and type written notes glued to the map on strengths of various Soviet units.

Of course for other areas and campaigns there are more details and more sub-units.

I am working on a complete date guide for each map set as well which Jason will post on the map order page
M.Abicht
Shingo
Supporter

Post by Shingo »

Dear Abicht and Jason,
I appreciate from the bottom of my heart to your efforts. :up: And I am looking forward to receiving map sets. :D

By the way, would you tell the type (TIFF or JPEG) and size (MB) of the digital image?
Please see my site as reference. Lage Ost maps (Record Group 242) on 2 November 1943 which I own are uploaded.
http://russo-germanwar.at.webry.info/20 ... cle_1.html
Original digital images recorded as TIFF files at 600 dpi (about 90MB per sheet). The 2nd map expands the Kiev area (2.28MB).

Best regards,
Shingo
Abicht

Post by Abicht »

Shingo-

I mailed you maps on a DVD last Saturday, so with the USPS you should get them very soon.

The map you linked to is exactly the ones I scanned in - all at 600 DPI as anything higher made little differecne except taking much longer to do.

Each file size differs in MB as it seems to depend on the amount of color, detail and such... but I am not computer expert so I am not sure whay the range varied on the maps. (your 1 map was 88MB?!?!)

The Battle of Kharkov maps are about 10MB each, (lots of detail) yet the Jan 1943 maps are about 3-4MB each.

Please leave feedback when you do get them as Jason and I wish to improve where we can.

Thank you for your order!
M.Abicht
ijontichy

Post by ijontichy »

Are there any online previews of these maps? My interest is the eastern front.
Geb

Re: WWII German Operational Map Cdroms now available!

Post by Geb »

Hello!
whether it is possible to German Operational Map Mius-front and Stalingrad?

P.S Sorry my English
Leandros
Supporter

Post by Leandros »

Are these maps available?
http://www.fredleander.com - buy my book on Operation Sea Lion
Alex Dekker
Associate

Post by Alex Dekker »

**UPDATE** As of May 31st, 2009 these maps will be no longer available for sale for the near term** Make you purchases now if possible! Starting May 23rd, 2009 all map sets are buy one get one set of lesser value free!
Unfortunately, I guess not. Check the link above.
Always in need for info about: Dutchmen in the NSKK, HJ and TeNo.
Ebusitanus

Post by Ebusitanus »

I´m looking for a Nevel and north/north-western of it. Does such a thing exist?