Halftracks during defense

German weapons, vehicles and equipment 1919-1945.

Moderator: sniper1shot

Jmlee236

Halftracks during defense

Post by Jmlee236 »

What title says. What did panzergrenadiers do with their half tracks when set up for defense? Have them integrated into the line? Have them in the rear? And if so, how far back would they be kept?
John W. Howard

Re: Halftracks during defense

Post by John W. Howard »

Hi:
I hope your searching our archive is helping with your research. I would imagine that the location of half-tracks would be determined by what armament was on them, and the availability of positions which would provide concealment and/or survivability to the vehicle. Certainly a commander would want to include any track armament in his defensive scheme, but depending on the importance of the position defended, might not want to make his tracks vulnerable. Getting his tracks into hull-down positions would be a big plus. Tracks armed with mortars could be placed further back from the line, maybe even out of sight. Tracks with machine-guns could be positioned where their fire would do the most good. Just some thoughts. Best wishes.
John W. Howard
Jmlee236

Re: Halftracks during defense

Post by Jmlee236 »

As far as archives go, I'm not sure how to make it use only certain keywords, for example typing in 21st and half tracks it'll show everything with the word 21 or half track... How do I tie them together?