Abwehr in Vienna - location

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
wednesdayschild

Abwehr in Vienna - location

Post by wednesdayschild »

If anyone knows where in Vienna the Abwehrstellen was, I'd appreciate hearing about it. Research for a novel. Also, my research has turned up that the SD was on Theresianumgasse, 16-18, the former residence of Nathaniel Rothschild; if anyone knows differently, or thinks another agency was in that building, please advise accordingly. I don't want to get it wrong. Thanks in advance. Great forum, happy to hear it will continue on with new leadership.
fridgeman
Supporter

Re: Abwehr in Vienna - location

Post by fridgeman »

Hello!

From what i read it could been located in Hetzgasse 2 back then. It is a building from 1900s and was a Telephone / Post Administration before the war, and today its (what a coincidence) the location of "Abwehramt" from austrian Bundesheer.

Abwehrstellen in general might be hard to trace nowadays, guess locations were kept secret for obvious reasons, and after
war US and soviets took pretty much all Abwehr/SD paperwork with them.

Hope this help you continue your search.
wednesdayschild

Re: Abwehr in Vienna - location

Post by wednesdayschild »

Thanks for your response. I've sent queries to several people in Vienna who specialize in giving walking tours of the city for tourists. For the record, here is what one of them said her "source" told her: (no info on who the source is)
Gruppe I: Stubenbastei 12
Gruppe II: Biberstraße 22
Gruppe III: Georg-Koch-Platz 2

(These are all fairly close together, in the same general area of the inner city.)

I'm including this info here for the benefit of future researchers.
Even if the Abwehr was NOT at these addresses, I'd say it's as good as anything at this point. Everyone who had cause to know is likely deceased, or will be soon. As 3 weeks of online research hasn't come up with anything definitive, I'm going to run with this info for the purpose of writing my (fictional) narrative.