Different types of police?

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Different types of police?

Post by John Kilmartin »

I am trying to understand the roles of the ordungs polizei. If you live in an urban setting the Schutzpolizei do the normal policing and if you live in a village the Gendarmerie do the normal policing, what do the Landespolizei do. How large a town would you have to be in before Kasinierte Polizei would be stationed there? Would there be Hilfspolizien aiding all four of these groups?
Thanks in advance,
John K
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Re: Different types of police?

Post by John Kilmartin »

If the Landespolizei were absorbed into the Heer in 1935 does this mean there was a massive hiring of new members of the Schutzpolizei to replace them or were some members of the Kasinierte Polizei transfered so that the loss of experienced officers was not as concentrated? The more I find out the more confused about the relationship of these forces I become.
' Strip war of the mantle of its glories and excitement, and it will disclose a gibbering ghost of pain , grief, dissappointment and despair'
Phil Nix

Post by Phil Nix »

John Kilmartin wrote:If the Landespolizei were absorbed into the Heer in 1935 does this mean there was a massive hiring of new members of the Schutzpolizei to replace them or were some members of the Kasinierte Polizei transfered so that the loss of experienced officers was not as concentrated? The more I find out the more confused about the relationship of these forces I become.
Landspolizei were a cover for soldiers who exceeded the 100,000 manpower set by the Allies after WW1 and they all went back to ther army during 1935
Phil Nix
John Kilmartin
Contributor

Post by John Kilmartin »

Thanks for that Phil.
Since the Landespolizei predate the Versailles Treaty when did this change in its role occur or was it really more like the system in the U.S. where large numbers of law enforcement officers are in the National Guard?
JEROME Georges
Supporter

Post by JEROME Georges »

hello,

To complete comment of my friend and co author Phil,

- Police companies of Schupo were barracked units of the Kommando der Schupo of the largest town in Germany. They were employed in peace time and in germany as reserve of police station duties, staff for accident brigade, street safety...
Can be found in Polizeiverwaltung (Polizeiprasidium) from middle size level.
During the war these companies serve as part of Pol bat for action abroad.

- Landespolizei is full time police . Is US national guard full time or volontary part time ?

Georges