SCHUMA Cloth &Other Items-Can We ID to Ranks/Uses?

German auxiliary organizations 1919-1945.
dblmed1
Supporter

SCHUMA Cloth &Other Items-Can We ID to Ranks/Uses?

Post by dblmed1 »

I'd like to start this SCHUMA Thread in hopes that a 'Documented' ID of the Intended Use of the various Posted Schuma Items, is known by some Members. (Collectors have 'guesses' for the meaning / use - but with no period Documentation to back it up - to the best of my knowledge). SCHUMA Cloth (& other) Items fill a kind of mystical niche for me. The Cloth Items are just beautiful & are some of the most artistic of the TR period.

There are a number of very informative Threads on various Schuma Units - but, I found no comments regarding what they wore - & what it meant? My understanding of the Schuma Organization, is that they were essentially Non-Germanic Members serving the Polizei and Sipo/SD in occupied areas (outside of Germany) - Primarily in the 3 Baltics and Ukraine and part of Poland. (They partially filled the manpower void in these areas.) I've also read that some Schuma Units were 'Shipped West' late in the War.
There were German Officers in the ultimate control of each Schuma Unit - but did he wear SCHUMA Cloth? I Don't know the Answer.

The Cloth Items are nothing short of exquisite, with fine machine embroidery & colors. The SCHUMA Motto of "Faithfullness, Bravery & Obedience" is found on the Sleeve Patches. I got interested in the Schuma when I found 2 sets of Shoulder Boards & 3 Patches. From this, the interest grew, and the Collection began.

Schuma Shoulder Boards - Tops -
Green Piping w White Swaztika - for EM/NCO - & - Silver Piping w Silver Bullion Swaztika - for OFFICERS
.....Txs, Dave / dblmed1
Attachments
Schuma Shoulder Boards - Tops - <br />Green/White Swaz. EM/NCO - - Silver/Bullion Swaz. OFF
Schuma Shoulder Boards - Tops -
Green/White Swaz. EM/NCO - - Silver/Bullion Swaz. OFF
Schuma -NCO Green+OFF-F.jpg (210.52 KiB) Viewed 11632 times
dblmed1
Supporter

Re: SCHUMA Cloth &Other Items-Can We ID to Ranks/Uses?

Post by dblmed1 »

SCHUMA Shoulder Boards .... BOTTOM Side of the Above Shoulder Boards.
Note the different materials, used for the Straps.
Attachments
BOTTOM Side of the Above Shoulder Boards.
BOTTOM Side of the Above Shoulder Boards.
Schuma -NCO Green+OFF-R.jpg (90.52 KiB) Viewed 11628 times
dblmed1
Supporter

3 SCHUMA Sleeve Patches - Orange - Black - Black

Post by dblmed1 »

The Quality of the SCHUMA Patches is some of the best TR Cloth Items. Here are all 3 together.

(I have been informed by other Collectors, that it is believed that the EM & NCO's wore the same patches - in Each of the Patterns.
Schuma Officer Patches used a Silver Thread.)
Attachments
Schuma ORANGE + EM/NCO BLACK + OFF. BLACK<br />Sleeve Patches
Schuma ORANGE + EM/NCO BLACK + OFF. BLACK
Sleeve Patches
Schuma-3-Patches-OR-B-Bw.jpg (135.64 KiB) Viewed 11622 times
dblmed1
Supporter

SCHUMA EM/NCO Patch - w Black Center

Post by dblmed1 »

SCHUMA EM/NCO Patch - w Black Center with Grey-Green Thread, on a medium Green Background.
Attachments
Schuma EM NCO Black.jpg (88.24 KiB) Viewed 11613 times
dblmed1
Supporter

SCHUMA OFFICER Sleeve Patch w Silver Thread

Post by dblmed1 »

SCHUMA OFFICER Sleeve Patch - w Black Center with Silver / Aluminum wire Thread, Also is on a medium Green Background.
Attachments
Schuma OFF Sleeve w Black Center, using Silver Thread
Schuma OFF Sleeve w Black Center, using Silver Thread
Schuma OFF Sleeve w Blk Ctr.jpg (85.62 KiB) Viewed 11611 times
dblmed1
Supporter

SCHUMA EM/NCO ORANGE - Gendarmerie

Post by dblmed1 »

SCHUMA EM/NCO ORANGE (believed to be Gendarmerie) Patch - It's a Beauty! Txs, Dave / dblmed1
Attachments
Schuma EM NCO ORANGE.jpg (93.31 KiB) Viewed 11603 times
dblmed1
Supporter

2 Schuma Collar Tabs - FRONT

Post by dblmed1 »

Only by chance, I was able to acquire 2 Schuma Collar Tabs.

The Collar tabs are attributed to the Ukrainian Schuma. (As I am informed, but can not confirm this).
Also noted is that they are for the rank of Brigadefuhrer or Major. (As I am informed, but can not confirm this, either).

"IF" Anyone can Confirm the RANK & COUNTRY of Use - That would be Super! ...Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
Schuma - Collar Tabs-F.jpg
Schuma - Collar Tabs-F.jpg
Schuma - Collar Tabs-F.jpg (81.19 KiB) Viewed 11597 times
dblmed1
Supporter

2 Schuma Collar Tabs - REVERSE

Post by dblmed1 »

Attachments
Schuma - Collar Tabs-R.jpg (55.46 KiB) Viewed 11590 times
dblmed1
Supporter

Orange Piped Schuma Shoulder Boards & Swastika

Post by dblmed1 »

Here is a pair of Orange Piped Schuma Shoulder Boards with Orange Swastikas (believed to be Gendarmerie).
- Along with the Orange Gendarmerie Schuma Sleeve Patch.

The SCHUMA Orange Shoulder Boards are a bit longer - than the SCHUMA Green Piped Black Boards,.

It has been suggested, that the SCHUMA Orange Shoulder Boards could be for an Overcoat / Mantle?

Great Orange color combinations! Seems that there was no concern for CAMO, at this stage! Txs, Dave/dblmed1
Attachments
Schuma - ORANGE BDs &amp; Patch-F.jpg
Schuma - ORANGE BDs & Patch-F.jpg
Schuma - ORANGE BDs & Patch-F.jpg (90.22 KiB) Viewed 11582 times
dblmed1
Supporter

REVERSE of the Above Items

Post by dblmed1 »

REVERSE of the Above Items

(You can see the Length difference of the - Orange Schuma Gendarmerie Boards)
Attachments
Schuma - ORANGE BDs &amp; Patch-R.jpg
Schuma - ORANGE BDs & Patch-R.jpg
Schuma - ORANGE BDs & Patch-R.jpg (89.68 KiB) Viewed 11579 times
dblmed1
Supporter

June 1942 Ordnungspolizei Order-for SCHUMA Insignia

Post by dblmed1 »

Some SCHUMA BACKGROUND:
"...With the invasion of Russia on June 22ND 1941 the German army quickly occupied large tracts of territory resulting in ever extending rear areas that required policing to maintain order amongst the population and to secure open transportation and communication lines to the front.

Originally the army had established small auxiliary police units for these purposes which were followed by SS action groups.

The territories occupied proved to be too large for these small auxiliary units to police effectively which resulted in recruitment of local anti-Communist personnel which were formed into Schuma, short for Schutzmannschaften, (Protection Troops), units in November 1941.

The Schuma personnel fell under the control of the regional Höhere SS und Polizeiführer, (Higher SS and Police Leader). These Schuma personnel wore a wide variety of uniforms, headgear and insignia including surplus black Allgemeine-SS uniforms, and assorted field-grey and police green items.

In June 1942 distinctive cap and sleeves emblems were introduced for Schuma personnel to distinguish them from Ordnungspolizei, (Order Police), personnel..." Text is Courtesy of: http://www.Germanmilitaria.com

• QUESTION: Did the June 1942 Ordnungspolizei Order - "SPECIFY' the various Colors & their Meaning for SCHUMA Insignia? "IF" this can be located - & - "IF" it does SPECIFY Colors - then WOW, we'll be a Huge Step ahead, in understanding MORE about the Schuma!

You Advanced guys are already aware of All of this, but the Date of implementation of Schuma 'Cloth' was new info. for me. Txs, Dave/dblmed1