Suicides of Das Reich officers

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
Robin

Suicides of Das Reich officers

Post by Robin »

What were the causes of the suicides of Hans-Albin,Freiherr von Reitzenstein,commander of the panzer regiment,and Siegfried Max Schultz,divisional Ia?
Marko
Enthusiast

Post by Marko »

Robin, you'll find some detailed info (especially on v.Reitzenstein) in Mark Yerger's Knights of Steel, Vol.1.
Wolfkin
Associate

Post by Wolfkin »

Hello!

Y'all might find this link here interesting, Ah asked a similar question regarding Reitzenstein a little while ago:

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?t=4700

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Wolfkin
Amateurs limit their study to either Tactics, Strategy or Logistics. Professionals study ALL THREE of these!!!
Thomas V.
Supporter

Re: Suicides of Das Reich officers

Post by Thomas V. »

Wow, just found this ancient thread whilst searching for Schultz.

The reasons for his suicide were double. Max Schultz was homosexual, this was seemingly well known within the ,,Das Reich" officer corps. It appearantly wasn't so much of a problem, apart from it being it a joking matter from time to time. "Er kam von der Marine" - he comes from the Navy - was the usual joke.

However, Schultz seems to have been made the scapegoat for the divisional losses that ,,Das Reich" suffered. He was especially blamed for the heavy losses that I./s.SS-Kradsch.-Rgt. ,,Langemarck" suffered during the unloading of the division in Russia 1943, when it arrived from France. I can't say how much truth there is to these allegations. But in any case, suddenly the homosexuality became a problem. Scapegoating Schultz solely for the heavy losses was too hard to pull of since burning up units for pointless actions was all too common in the Waffen-SS. I./,,Langemarck" was the former SS-Kradschützen-Bataillon ,,Reich", a very popular and well liked unit among officers. So I assume it's heavy losses for what was considered a stupid tactical decision must have ticked off the wrong people. In any case, Schultz suddenly was forced to commit suicide when an issue was made over his sexuality. There's an interesting paralel to be drawn with v.Reitzenstein here.
Tom Houlihan
Patron

Re: Suicides of Das Reich officers

Post by Tom Houlihan »

HeathertofF wrote:Das deutsche Reicht lebt genau in dem Moment wieder auf, wenn Hitler mit seiner Reichsflugscheibe Haunebu von der geheimen Nordpolstation wieder angeflogen kommt.

Noch warte ich darauf....
Englisch, bitte.
TLH3
www.mapsatwar.us
Feldgrau für alle und alle für Feldgrau!