KIA SS family member - sharing information from WASt

German SS and Waffen-SS 1923-1945.
5RANGLIAN
Contributor

Post by 5RANGLIAN »

Those camps were work camps, according to this:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/KZ_Gro%C3%9F_Rosen

(yes, yes I know, it's wikipedia but even so...)

You can find the locations you wanted to know on Multimap.com. The one beginning with G is a bit of a problem, but if you had a couple of alternate spellings you'd probably find it. The county he is buried in has this website:

http://www.powiatstrzelinski.pl/index.php?n=page&idk=66

A nice place for a holiday, seemingly :wink:
All armies can be divided into two parts:
1. Infantry;
2. Support arms.
derGespenst
Associate

Post by derGespenst »

Zipfel,

I note the concentration on your grandfather's last days. Very understandable, but perhaps a bit short-sighted. According to your first post, he served with SS-Polizei Division for at least three quarters of 1942. That means he was in the lines around Leningrad, where he probably experienced some pretty intense fighting. Take a look at Polizei's history there to get some insight to what your grandfather must have experienced.
Zipfel

Re:

Post by Zipfel »

derGespenst wrote:Zipfel,

I note the concentration on your grandfather's last days. Very understandable, but perhaps a bit short-sighted. According to your first post, he served with SS-Polizei Division for at least three quarters of 1942. That means he was in the lines around Leningrad, where he probably experienced some pretty intense fighting. Take a look at Polizei's history there to get some insight to what your grandfather must have experienced.
It's been a while since I looked into this - I shall indeed do some further research as you suggest Gespenst. Cheers!
Zipfel

Re: KIA SS family member - sharing information from WASt

Post by Zipfel »

Here are some pictures of my grandfather taken in 1941. There is also a picture taken later in the war (bust shot) where he is wearing an SS field service cap. I will dig this up later. Cheers

Zipfel

Post by Zipfel »

Picture taken later in the war (unsure when, but by the looks of it he had lost a lot of weight and looks pretty unwell so I would assume this was taken some time after he was injured). I apologise for the poor quality, this is a photo of a photo of a photo....the original is hanging on my Uncle's wall in Germany).

Ohlauer

Post by Ohlauer »

Hallo Zipfel
I have some information about the Kampfgruppe Delfs. And information on the fighting in the area Ohlau-Wansen-Strehlen in January-May 1945.
I have also some information about Russian and German war graves. I can help in the search.
Please contact us at the e-mail.
charlieboy
Supporter

Post by charlieboy »

hi every one
has this thread died no new posts in two months?? it was getting interesting.
Zipfel

Post by Zipfel »

charlieboy wrote:hi every one
has this thread died no new posts in two months?? it was getting interesting.

Hi - a member here (unsure of his name on this board) recently sent me much information to go over. I aming to "distill" this and post a summary here if relevant.

Cheers
charlieboy
Supporter

Post by charlieboy »

hi zipfel
thats good news, as and when you are ready, and thank you for your keeping in touch
micky