2 Dec. 1942, Western Mediterranean

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Mattesini

Post by Mattesini »

Hello Andy.

Than more enemy I have many “invidiosi”. At least I hope that the feeling is only this negative of someone, than thinks a great historian, only because it has read of the books, and that it does not have the correctness to answer in order “ringraziare” for the information that had asked.

Cordial salutes,

Francesco
Andre Chissel

Post by Andre Chissel »

It may cost a little but you might want to try contacting Len Barnett at

[email protected]

I have used him in my Naval research and have found him to be outstanding.

I realise that a lot can be obtained from these types of forum as I well know (!) however, in the end, a combination of money AND forums like these is the way to go !

Regards

Andre
Andre Chissel
JPMISSON

Re: 2 Dec. 1942, Western Mediterranean

Post by JPMISSON »

Many thanks to the Webmasters for allowing me to join this Forum.

My first Post is addressed to all the Members and Readers who are particularly interested in Wrecks in the Mediterranean.
I reached this Forum only a few days ago while searching the Web with the words PC74 Mediterranean :
I wanted to get more information on the ship with this Pennant and which is mentioned in some reports on the attack
of the British Q Force , on December 2,1942 , while on the way back to Bone after an encounter with the Italian Navy.
I happen to have sonar-located the wreck of a "Q" Class Destroyer off the Tunisian coast , this summer (2015) and this
wreck would be that of HMS Quentin , part of the Q Force , Dec. 2,1942
(no correlation between Q Force and Q Class : a mere coincidence)
I have read all what has been posted on this Forum regarding HMS Quentin and I believe my finding of the wreck and
some forthcoming diving (next summer) could open new prospects to the understanding of what really happened .
I have posted most of my data on a similar Forum : just search "AIDMEN.IT - HMS QUENTIN" and you will be able to
read the texts (one has to pay a membership fee to view the pictures).
I do hope that most (if not all) of those who contributed to the Page "2 Dec. 1942 Western Mediterranean" in ...2006
are still around and willing to reopen the discussion on the fate of this Destroyer.
Phylo-Roadking (Moderator) , Enrico Cernuschi , Thomas cpa95 , Andy H , Lorenz , André Chissel ....
With thanks and best regards to All.
Jean-Pierre MISSON
Brussels
Andrew Arthy

Post by Andrew Arthy »

Hi,

From the I./K.G. 54 KTB:

"3 Ju 88 starteten von 04.47 Uhr - 04.52 Uhr zum Angriff auf nach Westen ablaufende Zerstoerer (nach Angriff auf eigenes Geleit in der Sizilienstrasse). - 1 Ju 88 Gleitangriff von 1.500-600 m - auf einen Zerstoerer im Pl.Qu. 8862/03 Ost. Die Bomben lagen in Kielbahn. 1-2 km davon Zerstoerer mit starker Schlachseite beobachtet. 2 Ju 88 keine Sicherung. -
Landung: 08.30 Uhr - 09.00 Uhr.
"

Cheers,
Andrew A.
Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com
JPMISSON

Post by JPMISSON »

Thanks Andrew,
I guess you have provided an account of the attack but as I do not read german I do not know if they claim having sunk the destroyer.
Another presentation of my sonar find in July this year can be found in :
http://www.worldnavalships.com/forums/s ... p=10144318
Next summer I will try to dive the wreck or at least get as close as possible to shoot a video.
-70 m is not for me but I will try to have some of the local coral divers help retrieve some conclusive evidence that the ship
is HMS Quentin . This will only be to publicly validate my claim (as , personally , I know this is HMS Quentin).
Your comments will be appreciated.
JP