LW Anti-Shipping abilities Summer 1940

German Luftwaffe 1935-1945.
Andy H
Associate

LW Anti-Shipping abilities Summer 1940

Post by Andy H »

Hi

I'm looking for any information concerning the anti-shipping abilities of LW squadrons during the proposed invasion of Britian in September 1940.

Some sources have suggested to me that 2 LW Geschwader of He111's were trained for such missions.

Any information or links would be appreaciated

Regards
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.

And so as I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolour I must fear evil, For I am but mortal and mortals can only die
Lorenz
Patron

Post by Lorenz »

The short answer is "yes". About half of the Luftwaffe's Kampfflieger and Sturzkampfflieger force was trained to attack enemy shipping by the summer of 1940. But only two Geschwader were trained in aerial torpedo operations by then: KG 26 and KG 30.

If you are really interested, see:

Hooton, E.R. Phoenix Triumphant: The Rise and Rise of the Luftwaffe (London, 1994).
Hooton, E.R. Eagle in Flames: The Fall of the Luftwaffe (London: Brockhampton Press, 1997).
Kurowski, Franz, Seekrieg aus der Luft: Die deutsche Seeluftwaffe im Zweiten Weltkrieg (Herford, 1979).
Mason, Francis K.. Battle Over Britain (London, 1969).
Ramsey, Winston G. (ed.). The Blitz, Then And Now, 3 volumes London, 1988-90).
tigre
Patron

Re: LW Anti-Shipping abilities Summer 1940

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D ; more........................

Sinking of HMS Valentine (L69).

About 1 p.m. (May 15, 1940) a Dutch tug brought off a Dutch Naval Officer and pilot. The officer handed me a note from the Dutch Commander-in-Chief requesting cover for the Terneuzen-Borssele ferry. I proceeded at 15 knots with Whitley one mile astern. When clear of the anchorage I increased speed to 22 knots. There had been no air activity for three hours and I thought it important to reach the new position as soon as possible. I now consider this to have been a mistake as the large wake must have attracted attention from the air and most certainly provided a magnificent aiming mark. When about two miles from Terneuzen I reduced speed to 15 knots and within a few minutes the ship was hit by two large bombs from a Ju 88. The aircraft was not seen until after the bombs were dropped at a height of about 1.000 feet. The approach was at a very steep angle and the explosion occurred before fire could be opened. One bomb went down the after funnel and exploded No.2 boiler. The second bomb hit the ship’s side on the starboard side abreast the bridge. The main steam pipe was hit but the ship had sufficient way to reach the southern bank of the river where she beached forward at an angle of about 30 degrees to the bank and a list of 20 degrees to port.

Junkers Ju-88A-1 "4D + C?" (2./ KG 30). Failed to return from low-level attack on shipping at Vlissingen and crashed into the Westerschelde estuary off Beveland, possibly victim of AA fire from destroyer HMS Whitley. FF Uffz Ludwig Wengert, BF Uffz Martin Stampfer, and BO Obergefr Josef Wunder all killed, BS Flgr Adolf Trinkl rescued by Dutch steamer and captured badly wounded – later released. Aircraft 100% write-off.

Sources: https://db.wingstovictory.nl/pdf/51-story.pdf
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=20800
https://www.stiwotforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14244

Cheers. Raúl M 8).

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas - Wesołych Świąt! :up:
Attachments
Photo shows HMS Valentine at high tide, stern under water. The hole in the hull to starboard is clearly visible. The forward turret was removed by the Germans in September 1940 and is no longer seen in this photo...............
Photo shows HMS Valentine at high tide, stern under water. The hole in the hull to starboard is clearly visible. The forward turret was removed by the Germans in September 1940 and is no longer seen in this photo...............
image010.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 10880 times
The fallen were buried in a field grave on the dike of the Nieuw-Neuzenpolder, the wounded were left behind in Terneuzen. In the attack, 31 crew members were killed or missing and dozens more were injured......
The fallen were buried in a field grave on the dike of the Nieuw-Neuzenpolder, the wounded were left behind in Terneuzen. In the attack, 31 crew members were killed or missing and dozens more were injured......
image008.jpg (33.54 KiB) Viewed 10880 times
Serás lo que debas ser o no serás nada. General José de San Martín.
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D ; another photo.......................

Sinking of HMS Valentine (L69).

Sources:https://www.stiwotforum.nl/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=14244

Cheers. Raúl M 8).

Feliz Navidad - Feliz Natal - Frohe Weihnachten - Joyeux Noël - Merry Christmas - Wesołych Świąt! :up:
Attachments
HMS Valentine (L 69) sunk astern and showing the large hole on her hull........................
HMS Valentine (L 69) sunk astern and showing the large hole on her hull........................
image027.jpg (71 KiB) Viewed 10708 times
tigre
Patron

Post by tigre »

Hello to all :D ; more........................

The attack on the RMS Empress of Britain 1940.

On 26 October 1940, the troop transport RMS Empress of Britain was badly damaged by two 250 kg bombs dropped by a Fw 200 of 2./KG 40, commanded by Oberleutnant Bernhard Joppe; Crew: Lt. Burkard, 2nd pilot; Uffz. Dörschel flight mechanic; Uffz. Iwang, first radio operator; Ogr. Mix, 2nd Radio Operator; R.R. dr. Habich, meteorologist. The "Condor" took off to carry out armed reconnaissance and meteorological surveys of North West Ireland. On this flight a very large ship with three funnels was sighted west of Ireland. Despite the strong anti-aircraft defences, through which the attacking aircraft received sensitive hits after the first attack, 2 bomb hits were achieved in a total of 4 boldly performed low passes.

After the attack, the ship listed slightly and her entire hull was burned. Subsequently, the "Meteorological Survey" mission was completed. The attacked ship burned for more than 24 hours and was sunk as a wreck by a submarine (U 32) the next day. The passenger steamer was the tenth largest ship in the world merchant fleet and served as a troop transport."

Sources: Ein erfolgreicher Kampfflieger aus Wien. öfh Nachrichten 1/16
https://reibert.info/attachments/empress-jpg.19574639/

Cheers. Raúl M 8).
Attachments
Focke-Wulf Fw 200C Condor F8+EH in full flight over Atlantic waters................................
Focke-Wulf Fw 200C Condor F8+EH in full flight over Atlantic waters................................
image305.jpg (23.52 KiB) Viewed 8763 times
A very large ship with three funnels was sighted, RMS Empress of Britain?..........................
A very large ship with three funnels was sighted, RMS Empress of Britain?..........................
image287.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 8763 times